schiesling 175mx

grenadier

I had one on demo for a few days at the end of last year.

Good points: excellent, wide feed rollers; flared wide feed hopper; safety bar nice and low below hopper so no/few false trips.

Bad points: chip went everywhere around the sides, and over the top of our (admittedly small) truck, underpowered engine (22hp), too thin/flimsy metal for feed hopper.

Over the last year we've also tried/demo'd: Greenmech Arborist 150 and Quadchip and Jensen 530 (both fixed cone-shaped hopper and folding hopper versions). We bought a new folding hopper braked Jensen 530 weighing 830kg in December.

We've had a few minor niggles so far but overall pretty pleased. All four different guys who've worked for me on the ground since we bought it have commented on how well the Jensen 530 works/chips/pulls material in. Including the bloke who often works with a Greenmech Quadchip for another firm.

I had one on demo for a few days at the end of last year.

Good points: excellent, wide feed rollers; flared wide feed hopper; safety bar nice and low below hopper so no/few false trips.

Bad points: chip went everywhere around the sides, and over the top of our (admittedly small) truck, underpowered engine (22hp), too thin/flimsy metal for feed hopper.

Over the last year we've also tried/demo'd: Greenmech Arborist 150 and Quadchip and Jensen 530 (both fixed cone-shaped hopper and folding hopper versions). We bought a new folding hopper braked Jensen 530 weighing 830kg in December.

We've had a few minor niggles so far but overall pretty pleased. All four different guys who've worked for me on the ground since we bought it have commented on how well the Jensen 530 works/chips/pulls material in. Including the bloke who often works with a Greenmech Quadchip for another firm.

Hi Andrew, can I ask did you consider the Vermeer BC 160? If so how co e you didn't get a demo?

Hi,

I didn't consider the Vermeer BC 160 because I'd seen some videos Theocus posted on Arbtalk (at least one of of which has now disappeared!). He's had a few of them as replacement machines because of all the problems he had with his BC 200 (I think). The performance of the 160 appears to be very poor and his 200 very unreliable (at least initially).

At that price? Why would one consider it?

No doubt that it does chip, but any better than something that costs considerably less but that is still "mainstream", I doubt so.

Pete you cannot compare a Greenmech to a Schliesing. The are completely different classes of machine, which each has its place in the market. To say that they are the same but one costs more is not fair. There are vast engineering differences in quality. I know I have both, equal machines bought nearly at the same time. I'm not saying one is better or worse than the other because I understand how price makes a difference in such a competitive market place, and different levels of owners and operators require different things from their machines.

There should be a system on here where members can identify comments made by a biased source so they can make a informed choice.

Pete you cannot compare a Greenmech to a Schliesing. The are completely different classes of machine, which each has its place in the market. To say that they are the same but one costs more is not fair. There are vast engineering differences in quality. I know I have both, equal machines bought nearly at the same time. I'm not saying one is better or worse than the other because I understand how price makes a difference in such a competitive market place, and different levels of owners and operators require different things from their machines.

There should be a system on here where members can identify comments made by a biased source so they can make a informed choice.

I think in this case Pete's signature and link to Greenmech at the bottom of his page gives his leanings away - I don't think he's hiding his loyality or being unduly biased :001_smile:

And he is their National Sales Manager after all!

Hi Lee, your comments have a load of truth, I do work for GreenMech, have done now for some 13-14 years. I also ran them when I ran a tree surgery firm prior to selling them for GM. I also appreciate that personal choice is part of the buying process. I'm also aware that your employer has different makes and sizes of machine which you care for.

However, my post made no comparisons. I look at machinery of a similar type and think "where has the money gone to in that." Sometimes you can see it in the component quality, build, finish, aftercare etc. Others you cannot. My opinion in this case is that the brand is, and was even back in the 1980s, expensive. They work very well and they look good, but I just cannot see components or build qualiy that justifies the price that they are marketed at.

I do the same with a lot of items. Why does Apple cost more than Samsung? Why do burgers from Tesco cost more than those from Aldi? Why are Wrangler jeans so expensive, why do people do Facebook?