Tis the season to see Fungi, fa la la la la....

David Humphries

3 minutes ago, Mick Dempsey said:

No, afraid not, eating unknown fungi is daft, as I’m sure you’ll agree, they were too perfect for smashing up, and I had to trespass into an agricultural field so was conscious of being watched.

Unusual to see something like that in a bare earth field?

Yeah relatively unusual to find that type of fruiting in an agricultural field as the mass of mycelium in the soil would be too disturbed to grow and put on such large fb’s. 

Agreed, eating unknown species is not clever.

1 hour ago, Wood-be said:

So I'm a bit stumped, i have seemed to of found a sideways growing bracket of sorts. Its on an ash stem but i have also seen smaller ones on a large cedar of Lebanon. can some one tell what these are please?

20190529_132444.jpg

20190529_132450.jpg

20190529_132507.jpg

I don’t think these are fruiting bodies. They look woody to me. Perhaps cankered burrs.

1 hour ago, David Humphries said:

I don’t think these are fruiting bodies. They look woody to me. Perhaps cankered burrs.

thank you David they do look woody and are definitely solid to the touch.

I have been looking all afternoon at cankers, fungi and other strange slightly tree related shenanigans on the internet but i still haven't even found a picture that even resembles what i have found.

The thing i find strange is they are hard and almost look like they are made from dried up resin of sorts but why the visable growth rings, why are they flat, why do they seem to be originating from one spot and radiating out, why are they growing sideways? and finally they seem to be growing out from an old bacterial canker which has been encapsulated.

when we tapped the tree it definitely had a different 'ring' (but sound solid) to it than the other ash near it which has got a bacterial canker running to about 15' up but none of these odd growths. 

I might send the pics to defra as i am stumped (pun intended)

Edited by Wood-be

1 hour ago, Wood-be said:

thank you David they do look woody and are definitely solid to the touch.

I have been looking all afternoon at cankers, fungi and other strange slightly tree related shenanigans on the internet but i still haven't even found a picture that even resembles what i have found.

The thing i find strange is they are hard and almost look like they are made from dried up resin of sorts but why the visable growth rings, why are they flat, why do they seem to be originating from one spot and radiating out, why are they growing sideways? and finally they seem to be growing out from an old bacterial canker which has been encapsulated.

when we tapped the tree it definitely had a different 'ring' (but sound solid) to it than the other ash near it which has got a bacterial canker running to about 15' up but none of these odd growths. 

I might send the pics to defra as i am stumped (pun intended)

• 1 month later...

bejeezus its taken an age, but finally stuff starting to pop up here and there at work.

IMG_2488.thumb.JPG.2048a2d9f0126fe8e2f022088c3d528e.JPG

Laetiporus on cherry

IMG_2446.thumb.JPG.0ab3ccc7c027ce06561a0600188fabbd.JPG

Amanita fulva on oak roots

IMG_2370.thumb.JPG.0f32ad44d4ae2d1243e75fa55599da94.JPG

Fuglio septica on oak 

IMG_2391.thumb.JPG.e7d76af56a49c75763cd098193df427f.JPG

Gymnopus fusipes on oak roots

IMG_2434.thumb.JPG.0f30916cd82fcbb85a92ba23fe768cf1.JPG

Amanita rubescens on oak roots

BGLT1061.thumb.JPG.e037e254217a9c512fc8d666c3e6b2bb.JPG

Volvariella bombycina at the base of Horse chestnut