Tis the season to see Fungi, fa la la la la....

David Humphries

1 hour ago, Tree Tastic Care said:
16 hours ago, David Humphries said:
Pholiota squarrosa, the shaggy scaly cap

Thanks . Does this mean the tree is diseased or anything ? Or that's just where they like to live lol

There will be some volume of dysfunctional wood around the root collar/buttress interface.  

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all, completely no idea on this subject at all, but some of the pics are really smart. So as a complete no hoper on the fungi scenario..... if you find fungi on a tree or around its roots, does it automatically mean the tree has caught some kind of disease? And does it typically mean the tree is on a downward spiral in relation to its health / life span?

In response to Ratman, I am studying the subject of fungi at the moment and think it is a fairly deep subject. But pretty interesting.  One thing I found interesting though is the number of fungi, beech trees can get. European Beech (Fagus Sylvatica) only lives an average of 200 years which seems quite incredible considering the size of some of them. 

• Like 1

I have a chopped up beech tree that i split and i’m burning the majority, but my log stores were all full up so the rest i have heaped up till next year. I’ve never seen as much fungi on the ground in my garden since i heaped the remaining lot up. Bizarre yet interesting all the same. Will keep following the thread with interest [emoji106]