Tis the season to see Fungi, fa la la la la....

David Humphries

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, nice find AJ ?.Quite difficult to say which species from the pics but think it might be Lurid Bolete Suillellus luridus.

Funnily enough i was passing through your stomping ground recently and spotted The Prince Agaricus augustus beside the A22 near the Crowborough Road turning just outside Nutley. Some beautiful locations around there (not that i had time to stop and explore ?).

IMG_5891.JPG

IMG_5898.JPG

• Like 1

Yes, nice find AJ [emoji106].Quite difficult to say which species from the pics but think it might be Lurid Bolete Suillellus luridus.

Funnily enough i was passing through your stomping ground recently and spotted The Prince Agaricus augustus beside the A22 near the Crowborough Road turning just outside Nutley. Some beautiful locations around there (not that i had time to stop and explore [emoji853]).

IMG_5891.thumb.JPG.86f9bc639b69d30592ddc3b77bbd9293.JPG

IMG_5898.thumb.JPG.77ffd132169a48dcfa5d1f77f0d61be3.JPG

Thanks Ben. Will have a look at the books.

Great shots. Yes very nice round the Ashdown Forest!

On 07/08/2020 at 08:00, AJStrees said:

Thanks Ben. Will have a look at the books.

Great shots. Yes very nice round the Ashdown Forest!

If it helps, Lurid Bolete usually has a net like or reticulated patterning on it's swollen stem and a very thin dark line (seen when cut in half) between where the tubes finish and the pale flesh begins. These are considered good distinguishing characteristics (although the species is pretty variable). Think i can just about see both on your mushroom (in places) but difficult to be sure i'm not just convincing myself i can as the pics can't be zoomed. ? 

Yes, Ashdown Forest is particularly inviting to me as, living in the Cotswolds all my life, i'm used to having to slog up and down hills all the time.  

On 07/08/2020 at 08:00, AJStrees said:

7 hours ago, Ben R said:

If it helps, Lurid Bolete usually has a net like or reticulated patterning on it's swollen stem and a very thin dark line (seen when cut in half) between where the tubes finish and the pale flesh begins. These are considered good distinguishing characteristics (although the species is pretty variable). Think i can just about see both on your mushroom (in places) but difficult to be sure i'm not just convincing myself i can as the pics can't be zoomed. ? 

Yes, Ashdown Forest is particularly inviting to me as, living in the Cotswolds all my life, i'm used to having to slog up and down hills all the time.  

I think that is quite right. Just checked the books. Lurid bolete could well be the one. Aaron

• 2 weeks later...

Some recent fungi finds while at work.

IMG_2437.jpg

IMG_2424.jpg

IMG_2421.jpg

IMG_2410.jpg

Bolete all under the one oak tree

IMG_2449.jpg
This pine has had brackets coming down the trunk for some years. Haven’t got up to take close ups yet.

IMG_2402.jpg
On old chestnut wood

IMG_2392.jpg
I think on Ash

IMG_2384.jpg
On an old Hazel stool

IMG_2370.jpg
On beech

IMG_2367.jpg
Near oak on the side of a pond

IMG_2329.jpg
On a decaying log in the woods