Tis the season to see Fungi, fa la la la la....

David Humphries

45 minutes ago, ABtrees said:

Gary

You're right - I fear it has already happened - I'm now going out looking for them, trying to find something new to photograph when I should be 'working' !

Anyway here is yesterday's / today's additions.  I'm sure they're all pretty common and I know I've seen the yellow one before (but there's 2 others in the same poor photo).   The black one (in 2) may be the same as pic 3.  The white ones (in 4 and 5) interested me because the only appear to be growing on old ivy stem !  I'm going to have a trawl through some more of my old pics - I'm sure to have a few others that may be a bit more interesting (do they count if they're way out of season ? See - obsessive behaviour alert !!!!).

20180131_130253.jpg

20180131_130412.jpg

20180131_152629.jpg

20180131_154107.jpg

20180131_154136.jpg

Yellow is Tremmella sp again, black ones are probably Bulgaria inquinans (the black bulgar)

Last couple are possibly Schizophyllum commune (the split gill fungus) but image contrast is a bit too washed out to pick up macro details.

More interesting (for me personally) to see the ones that are in season, but always happy to try and help with older images if you're stuck on Id's.

47 minutes ago, ABtrees said:

Oh yeah - forgot

Whilst clearly not a patch on Peasgood's, are these just some old Turkey tails stained by the moss - or something completely different ?

20180131_154338.jpg

Don't think these are turkey tails, but one of the other Trametes sp

Pore surface shots can often help to narrow down the Id.

6 hours ago, OakStag said:

In regards to the chondrostereum how often does the colonization lead to death of the tree? Seen a few trees heavily in decline with it present. Wondered if it primarily colonised already stressed trees.

Precursor to dead part or entire tree.

Indicative of a dysfunctional unit (root, buttress, trunk, branch) or in later stages colonises complete dysfunctional parts of the tree.

The beech below succumbed to a significant Meripilus infection which led to the dysfunction of the vascular parts of the tree that the Chondro colonised.

48FFA881-C7E2-48AF-983B-9975624684E1.jpeg.a7c564afbba6f732e50e18c8abb91ec0.jpeg

674F0B75-DDEA-4867-9451-5B4EADBA8130.jpeg.e9e3b59dad85f69afaa6095b58b1ac66.jpeg

4944CC65-09FB-472D-A581-DF23406B08DC.jpeg.a827cf5c85353a7f9aa66eafbdec1ead.jpeg

• Like 1

Found this on a beech last week, after initially thinking it was Oyster mushroom, i then began to think it might be dryads saddle. However based on the current combination of books on the desk neither of them persist for a very long after degrading. This is clearly a seasonal bracket thats either still attached because it's a sheltered spot or a late (early) second fruiting but no idea quite what it is.

Thought would be appreciated20180127_100605.jpg20180127_100619.jpg

1 hour ago, Arborowen said:

Found this on a beech last week, after initially thinking it was Oyster mushroom, i then began to think it might be dryads saddle. However based on the current combination of books on the desk neither of them persist for a very long after degrading. This is clearly a seasonal bracket thats either still attached because it's a sheltered spot or a late (early) second fruiting but no idea quite what it is.

Thought would be appreciated20180127_100605.jpg20180127_100619.jpg

Looks like dryads saddle to me

• Like 4