Tis the season to see Fungi, fa la la la la....

David Humphries

2 minutes ago, David Humphries said:

Any shots of the pore surface or flesh Jake?

Bit of an odd one, earlier tiers look to be Ganoderma like, whereas the last few pale layers look like Fomes.

Not entirely sure that I would rule Phelinus ignarius out either.

P. Igniarius was my first thought David but after looking back through the photos I started to doubt myself thinking it resembled gano.

Unfortunately no closer shots as I was in a bit of a hurry but will get some next week.

Tree is in severe decline with one stem failure at the base. Think I noticed at least 5-6 fruiting bodies. It will be left to degrade as it is not in harms way and off the main track.

Morning just going through a few old photos and came across this one of a large fruiting body I found - thought it might be of interest (?).  I was given the trunk of a big old oak that had fallen over about 10 yrs previously and been laying in a ditch ever since.  It was wet through so decided to split it let it dry.  On the second split I found this - sorry there is no scale reference in the picture but the ring was about 1.2 m and the corner of the splitter (bottom right in 1st photo) is about 10-12 cm.  In my (total) ignorance, just wrote it off as being a bit of dry/wet rot, but it was the fact it was right in the centre of the tree and the structure of it that prompted me to take the photo.

20131229_143428.jpg

20131229_143525.jpg

On 1/14/2018 at 12:01, ABtrees said:

Morning just going through a few old photos and came across this one of a large fruiting body I found - thought it might be of interest (?).  I was given the trunk of a big old oak that had fallen over about 10 yrs previously and been laying in a ditch ever since.  It was wet through so decided to split it let it dry.  On the second split I found this - sorry there is no scale reference in the picture but the ring was about 1.2 m and the corner of the splitter (bottom right in 1st photo) is about 10-12 cm.  In my (total) ignorance, just wrote it off as being a bit of dry/wet rot, but it was the fact it was right in the centre of the tree and the structure of it that prompted me to take the photo.

20131229_143428.jpg

20131229_143525.jpg

Possibly the mycelial felt of a long term Laetiporus sulphureus colonisation.

Reminds me - on one of our projects , have a three large multi-stem willows to kill on the side of a wetland habitat . Basically want to reduce the water loss to the pond in summer. No chemical herbicide should be used realy - so think I will get them felled then introduce fungal matter in the cut stumps and cap them off to let Nature do its thing . Has this been done before ?? K

6 hours ago, Khriss said:

Reminds me - on one of our projects , have a three large multi-stem willows to kill on the side of a wetland habitat . Basically want to reduce the water loss to the pond in summer. No chemical herbicide should be used realy - so think I will get them felled then introduce fungal matter in the cut stumps and cap them off to let Nature do its thing . Has this been done before ?? K

I've not done that, normally just let nature do its thing or give it a little hand by ring barking just above ground level with a saw. I haven't read anything specifically about inoculating stumps to kill them, (Paul Stamets, in his book Mycelium Running) talks about inoculating with saprotrophs to combat pathogenic species) It may be worth introducing the stumps with a strong parasite like Armillaria mellea. Not sure of the best way to do that but perhaps see if there are any commercial plugs available and drill the wood by the cambium (like the glyphosate Eco plugs) . I've seen mycelial plugs of other Armillaria species available, but they're more saprophytic in nature and are unlikely to kill a 'live' stump.

Will ring bark one pole out of the multiple, for a perch,  then cut lids on other stumps n bore out centers. Handful of Fistula or Amillaria in each and see how it progresses. If it ain't been written up before  will detail it and progression of decay. K

• Like 1

You see that's why I joined this site - I really have no idea what you guys are talking about - but you get me thinking !  Before I read your post Khriss I would never have even considered that the fungi may have taken because the tree was actually in the ditch and therefore been instrumental in its failure. In my ignorance I assumed tree got blown over fungi invaded as a result of it being waterlogged for a number of years etc etc.  And David IF I understand it correctly this is just a remnant from the visible fungus that would have been present whilst the tree was standing ?  Back into the woods next weekend then to find some 'chicken' - right time of year ???

Thanks both.

• Thanks 1