Yew chopping boards???

ginger_badger

May sound like a daft question to ask to the veterans amongst us here but... Can u use yew timber for chopping boards in the household??? I have some off cuts of a beam that I'm using for bench legs and after sanding them down was amazed at the grain quality, would be a shame to waste the off cut really, can any1 help?

Yew is a source of chemotherapy drugs used in breast cancer. The toxin is found throughout the plant. How much would be in the chopping board and how much would move into your food I don't know. Not something I'd wish to chance really. I'm sure many people have used Yew utensils before but traditionally it isn't used because of being poisonous. This makes sense.

I always thought that the seeds and leaves were poisonous, the dust can be a problem too but that's the same with any wood.

Sap and dust can irritate skin. There is a lot of info on seed and leaves but not a lot on the wood itself apart from the dust, and no cases I can't find about people dieing from the wood.

People use to make bowls and tankards from yew wood and still do today.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/wis30.pdf

I would also like to add I've been drinking from a yew cup for years with no affect what so ever.

Dellwood33 that link was very useful, thank you Ian I may endup making bowel and chopping boards then lol I'm quite glad also now that I was wearing a propper rubber Face mask whilest sanding down, cheers guys for all the help, I'm still quite new to milling and wood work, ill try get my computer fixed so I can post pics up of my benches, stuck using my iPhone tho for now

I've spent a while trying to find answers online and have been meaning to e-mail TRADA (just have done).

But history seems to state it's ok and you'd have to physically eat and digest a good bit of wood to kill you.

What I've found on the web is similar to what these guys say FAQ - bunburyboards.com

"But is the wood itself poisonous? If so, how poisonous? Some say it is fine, and have spent decades drinking from yew goblets and eating off yew plates. There are also many doubters out there – “If in doubt, don’t do it” advice is all over the web if you do a search. "

I've done my research and as long as TRADA agree it's ok to use yew for chopping boards I'm going to do it just making sure there is no flaky wood or bark.