10mm ish dynamic for lanyard....suggestions

WorcsWuss

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Give Noddy a shout over at Treeworker.

He has some dynamic rope in stock that fits the Cinch nicely. I have a dynamic lanyard en route from him with stitched eyes - to be used with a Trango Cinch - as my lanyard.

The Cinch originates as a belay device for sport (rock) climbing AFAIK, therefore I'd guess was designed with dynamic ropes in mind.

I've not found a static rope that runs smoothly through the cinch when under load - they all seem to result in the device releasing quite "quickly"!

Edited by Craig F-J

Presumably because as it stretches the diameter reduces which could cause the grab function to fail....?

The manufacturer advise is to only use the cinch with dynamic line because it was designed as a climbing belay & during this scenario dynamic lines are a must. Huge forces can be generated during a fall & this force is absorbed by the rope rather than your body, which would not be the case if using any EN 1891 type rope.

Regards

Nod

@ Ewan :

Sorry broh but I just can not agree with you on that point ;-)

If you can not get your ropes organised and safely set for every work situation you better get some steel chain for lanyard.

And there should be a climbing rope involved as well that will act as a backup in the situation you describe.

But let us just get back to topic and we all just go with the techniques and materials we like and each and every climber out there has some different setups and materials he prefers and I reckon that we have to respect that :-)

Climb safe

Edited by Wouter

I'm not saying don't use dynamic lanyard just be aware that it's not heat resistant, and to be more aware of the danger of running ropes going near it, it's fine to use a rope lanyard but people still cut it or knick it because accidents happen.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2

So I have abandoned dynamic and on recommendation I'm going to try 10mm OP with 8mm Sirius for my new strop :biggrin:. Have ordered a pinto which may go on this lanyard or may end up on the rw.... Will post the finished article into the lanyard thread when it's done!

Thanks for your help folks...:thumbup1: