Firewood Buyers Guide

Marko

Wood is invariably cut to length and split within 12 months of being cut.

We now store and stack the logs in galvanised stillages which dramatically eases the ongoing handling of stock from being split to being delivered.

so how long do you season it for then?

this is taken from your web site...

"When buying in firewood always ascertain the moisture content. Unseasoned (green) wood will be cheaper to buy than seasoned wood but will require you to store it for a further two to three years before it is ready to burn. Have you the space to store three seasons worth of firewood? The only way of knowing if it is ready to burn is by knowing the moisture content. If you buy your own moisture meter there will be no 'misunderstandings'."

i know you are pushing the use of a moisure meter, but if you recommend the customer dries fresh wood for 2-3 years before burning, then the stuff you sell should be of the same quality.

cant remember where i saw it but a forest research paper online, i think from america stated there was no actual further benifit in burning a log of over 9 months seasoning. they also said that the shortest time a log should season for is 3 months during the summer where it will reach a suitable moisture content in that time.

if i stored all my split wood undercover for 2-3 years in the barns i pay rent on , then the cost of the fuel to the customer would be huge.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

forget all this moisture meter stuff to buy one of those is expensive, and it depends where you stick it as to what reading you get, just get a decent supplier and stick with him. The amount of new customers that I have picked up this year because they are fed up with wet wood, is double on last year, and as the sale of wood burning stoves has increased this year, it pays to get your seasoning right.

I have a completely new policy now, as from years ago when we just used to throw it on the heap and then in a years time get it off again

We have a very simple rotation system - stuff goes in to storage the year it was cut and gets used 4-5 years later. This system is overkill for ensuring the wood is correctly seasoned but enables us to manage stock levels through mild and hard winters.

What I sell is irrelevant to this debate - "if you recommend the customer dries fresh wood for 2-3 years before burning, then the stuff you sell should be of the same quality." Why should it? As long as I tell them these logs were a tree last week and that they will need to keep them for 2-3 years before they will be fit to burn then there will be no surprises and I will still have a happy customer. It is not what we sell that matters - it is how we sell it!

The guide is intended to benefit the whole industry to help (primarily new) customers of wood fuel understand that this is far from an exact science and what all their buying options are such that we all minimise misunderstandings.

I have advocated the use of a moisture meter as wet wood is definitly high on the list of complaints I get told about. Billy Goat Gruff notes "The amount of new customers that I have picked up this year because they are fed up with wet wood, is double on last year". Are the two of us the only ones hearing this? As I hopefully convey in the guide, buying wet wood is not a problem in itself if you are prepared to season it. It can save money if you have the space to store it.

Complaints ony arise when a customer gets wet wood when the expected dry wood. As with quantities of wood delivered, the issues only arise when there is a mismatch of expectations.

Alternative suggestions and further comments all welcome!

What I sell is irrelevant to this debate - "if you recommend the customer dries fresh wood for 2-3 years before burning, then the stuff you sell should be of the same quality." Why should it? As long as I tell them these logs were a tree last week and that they will need to keep them for 2-3 years before they will be fit to burn then there will be no surprises and I will still have a happy customer. It is not what we sell that matters - it is how we sell it!

QUOTE]

But do they really have to keep it for this long before burning? :confused1:

As I said - I am open to all suggestions. What do you think is sensible bearing in mind that the log stacks are often tucked away behind the garage etc.

I throw logs loose in an open shed and find they are fine after a year. I would imagine if you stack wet logs tightly in the wrong conditions they still wont be dry in 3 years. Just my opinion! I aint no expert!

Most of our customers don't have space to store large piles of wood for long periods.

They prefer to get delivery of a product today, that can be used on the fire tonight. This is a legacy of the society we live in today.

We tell our customers that we will take care of the 18 month seasoning and stacking and they just need to order when they are ready, just the same as coal, oil, lpg, etc. We guarantee to have supplies of seasoned wood ready for immediate delivery. This service seperates us from the local competition, and I believe is the way firewood should be sold nowadays.

But as I mentioned earlier, this is the situation in our area, and not neccessarily the situation in other areas around the country.

sorry i feel it is relevent to this debate. you have taken it upon yourself to write the recommendations and yet you do not seem to follow them

The guide is intended to benefit the whole industry to help (primarily new) customers of wood fuel understand that this is far from an exact science and what all their buying options are such that we all minimise misunderstandings.

I have advocated the use of a moisture meter as wet wood is definitly high on the list of complaints I get told about. Billy Goat Gruff notes "The amount of new customers that I have picked up this year because they are fed up with wet wood, is double on last year". Are the two of us the only ones hearing this? As I hopefully convey in the guide, buying wet wood is not a problem in itself if you are prepared to season it. It can save money if you have the space to store it.

no you are not, i do get the same and have always had those remarks and gained those customers

Complaints ony arise when a customer gets wet wood when the expected dry wood. As with quantities of wood delivered, the issues only arise when there is a mismatch of expectations.

that is why i do not lie to my customers, i tell them exactly what i have got and at what state it is, and i ask them to think about it first and call me back if intrested if they cant decide, when its delivered they can inspect it- even burn a sample before they buy it

Alternative suggestions and further comments all welcome!

storage and drying of fresh wood will depend on location. if i could only sell fresh wood to the customers that had the ample storage then i would. the fact is many dont have space.

all of my wood is split and seasoned as soon as, but i can never keep split wood for more than a year as demand is so high i always sell out. this is my only business so i have to make it work.

can you tell me you never run out of seasoned wood?

the length of drying time would depend on the species of wood.

i am very open with my customers about how dry it is and let them try it themselves.

tell us exactly your processing and drying method and time that you use to classify wood as 2-3 yr seasoned, my idea of the wood seasoning is from the moment it is split not from when it ceased to be a standing tree.

i do feel that one year split is ample for firewood