Rate of pay for a ground worker with basic tickets

Hodge

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's going to be a supply and demand type scenario IMO. Too many currently self employed types chasing too few full time positions. This will bring down the day rate to a certain extent. If you currently sub-contract as a groundie, how long before you are required by law to be employed. I cannot see how a the self employed groundie can continue to survive as by the nature of his work he will be working under direction of a climber and others, aside from complying with other rulings for s/e status.

All the above sounds fair, i charge £85 a day for grounding but i am pretty much always busy, booked til March currently.

I do however have 30,31,32,38,39 and Chipper ticket, a good eye for reductions, experience and willingness to graft...just trying to get on.

I think its down to the employer. if the employer is willing to pay someone £65 who stands back or £75 to someone who will be getting stuck in and will graft all day and be willing.

£80 a day on a self employed basis is what I charge, 30,31,32,38,39, chipper ticket, supply my own saws, ppe, climbing kit, fuel etc. And my day rate means a day, 6.5-7.5 hrs, if it's light enough and safe enough I work until the job is done.

No one has mentioned employers' national insurance contributions which are paid by the employer on top of the headline salary rate. The rate is 13.8% above about £150/week. My rough calculation suggests this adds about £5/day to the £65/day pay discussed previously.

My understanding is that employers' national insurance contributions are the main reason why HMRC wants people to be employed rather than self-employed sole traders.

No one has mentioned employers' national insurance contributions which are paid by the employer on top of the headline salary rate. The rate is 13.8% above about £150/week. My rough calculation suggests this adds about £5/day to the £65/day pay discussed previously.

My understanding is that employers' national insurance contributions are the main reason why HMRC wants people to be employed rather than self-employed sole traders.

While this is true, I think the real reason is HMRC would sooner have less people to chase for their pound of flesh, its much easier for them to deal with one firm with 4 employees than chase each of those employees separately.

Hello,

I am lucky in that 2 of us take turns to climb even squabble over who is going up!

Each acts as groundsman and the working relationship is symbiotic if thats a correct phrase.

Our regular groundy 'Auld Rab' is old but experienced and brings a certain maturity to a young business, this is worth paying for.

The key to a motivated 'employee' is 'ownership' or incentive.

Incentives give employees the edge, make them hungry, low wage with better bonuses and bolt ons such as smarter PPE, midday meals, vouchers for..'stuff' (tax deductable of course)

As a partner and therefore 'boss' I am quite happy to take a lower wage for an easier life. Paying more for better staff lowers my burden. Staff even able to go and quote from time to time and why not eh? Shows trust and gives that ownership to an employee and motivation beyond simple renumeration.

YOU won that job and so here is a few extra quid in your hand.

Develops people and your business won't lose long term by farming out responsibility to its lower orders...hhh!

Maybe I'm talking 'Charabia' (bad arabic) but this is how we work and its working just fine.

Regards

Ty