log burner not producing much heat?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah T Piece is a better option so you can sweep up through it. The maximum length of horizontal pipe allowed from the back of the stove to the vertical flue is only 150mm I have a Morso squirrel that was vented off the top and is now from the back for the same reason ie to bring it forward. The installer said that it will draw better off the back. I'm not sure it does but it's certainly no worse. No scope to pull the liner forward and fit a new register plate? I would seriously consider getting a HETAS installer to have a look at the installation. Quite a few 'sweeps' also do installing so have a ring about. CDO

We brought our stove into the room using a 90 deg bend. A fireboard seals the fireplace and we tiled it, which acts like a large radiator long after the stove is out.

Obviously far more heats stays in the room and we shift it out the living room door with an ecofan. (Which works!)

Added bonus with the rear flue is that when we ran out of gas for our hob we just cooked the pots on top of the stove. :-)

Thinking of a Ecofan as well to help circulation 810 or the 812

I've managed to curb my desire for a working stirling engine at £150 but the various comments about stove fans have made me dangle a 12V 0.3A fan, ripped from a beer cooler, above the little Jotul. It's running off a wall wart and my wife says it is making a difference in this study. If I left it on 24/7 that would cost me about a fiver in electricity a year.

The house is now cold for the first time this winter and I'm going to run out of logs.

I'm guessing the large temperature differential (22C at ceiling level and 13.3C at floor) in the sitting room is indicative of poor insulation.

Who says Ecofans do a poor job? Everyone I know who has one swears by them - which would suggest they do a very good job!

90 degree bends off the back of the stove are not a good idea - I've been to several jobs where the outlet has been completely blocked as nothing will fall back into the stove - it just sits in the 90 until it blocks. Blocked pipes carrying carbon monoxide out of the room are not a good thing!