Protos Arborist Helmet.

Old Mill Tree Care

Hi all. I bought a protos a few weeks ago from FR Jones. Great service from them BTW. I have used it today to practice some branch walking as I am doing my cs39 next week. I have to say its far better than the helmet I borrowed for my climbing and rescue training. I think that was a husky branded one. The protos is very comfy, you hardly notice its on. Great ventilation, its been a hot day here today and there was no perspiration and I have adjusted the ear defenders and find the noise reduction great. Obviously I havent used it like you pros might but that's my two peneth worth.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 year later...
Now I've fitted Sena sets to my helmets I've found that the ear defenders are not doing a very good job, especially the right one.

Does any one have similar experience because I know that lots of you have Sena on Protos.

Thanks

Al.

Hi Al. How are the SENA cables inserted into the ear defender pods? Y

Hi Al. How are the SENA cables inserted into the ear defender pods? Y

Hi Yve.

I've done it carefully using a very skinny file to create just enough space for the wire to run through between the shell and cushion.

Curiously, the right muff doesn't sit firmly against my head anymore which means the left muff is also slightly ineffective. This happened before the Sena was fitted though.

Something must have worn or broken in the bracket/spring thingy.

Any suggestions?

I love the Protos and would be very upset if I had to regress to an old fashioned helmet.

Thanks for the info, Al.

Here's an extract from the 'Proper Use of Protos' booklet that would have accompanied your Protos when you purchased it:

"11. When should the Protos® Integral no longer be used?

The Protos® Integral and its components should be checked periodically for visible defects (cracks, discoloration, etc.). The Protos® Integral and/or its components should be immediately replaced after exposure to stress (e.g. a fall or blow), even if the damage is not visible externally.

Any modification of the product (e.g. drilling holes in the shell) can negatively affect the protective performance and must therefore not be carried out on this product!"

Unfortunately because you have filed away the material on the ear capsule to allow for the cable to pass through, the integrity and performance of your product has been compromised. (Any alterations made to the manufacturer's original specification will void any warranty and will affect the certification).

The only certified communication systems for use with Protos Integral are the Protos Bluetooth Communication System and 5 options from 3M Peltor.

Regarding the brackets, please PM me your address and I will send you a replacement set. Replacement ear capsules are also available should you wish.

Hope this answers your query. Y :)

Now I've fitted Sena sets to my helmets I've found that the ear defenders are not doing a very good job, especially the right one.

Does any one have similar experience because I know that lots of you have Sena on Protos.

Thanks

Al.

I realise I didn't describe the situation very well.

Prior to the Sena installation, the right muff had lost its pressure against my head. It transpires that the problem is the spring in the bracket.

Anyway, I've spoken with Yvonne (Yve on here) at Clarkes Forestry, who was a wealth of good info, and she is sending me replacement brackets.

Additionally, the idiot factor has been involved and when fitting the Sena speaker, the foam inside the muff was reinserted the wrong way round. That didn't help!

Anyway, it's better but not great although the new bracket should solve that.