New stove fitted

I fitted a new stove today in my extension a nice little arrow , I fitted it through a ground floor extension with a flat roof , I also fitted one of those rubber roofs with a 50yr guarantee the job looks superb which I am very happy with , now for the awkward bit , for the last 3 days I have had a fire in an old oil drum which is 75% of my neighbours rubbish , any way this afternoon I had some friends around who wanted to paint my shed so we are out the back having a natter and my neighbour comes over bla bla you ain't having that fire lit at all ever , I asked why and apparently his son who never opens his bedroom window has now decided to start opening the window as is room is full of condensation plus he doesn't want my fire filling his house full of smoke I've done everything right according to building regs so I want to know where I stand legally also baring in mind the last 3 days with the bonfire going burning his rubbish not a word has been said , 99.9% of the time we get on great , cheers.

I fitted a new stove today in my extension a nice little arrow , I fitted it through a ground floor extension with a flat roof , I also fitted one of those rubber roofs with a 50yr guarantee the job looks superb which I am very happy with , now for the awkward bit , for the last 3 days I have had a fire in an old oil drum which is 75% of my neighbours rubbish , any way this afternoon I had some friends around who wanted to paint my shed so we are out the back having a natter and my neighbour comes over bla bla you ain't having that fire lit at all ever , I asked why and apparently his son who never opens his bedroom window has now decided to start opening the window as is room is full of condensation plus he doesn't want my fire filling his house full of smoke I've done everything right according to building regs so I want to know where I stand legally also baring in mind the last 3 days with the bonfire going burning his rubbish not a word has been said , 99.9% of the time we get on great , cheers.

HI GRAHAM tell your neighbour what to do with rubbish :001_tongue:what good for one you no what i mean mate take rubbish back to him and put it though the open window let him have it back then mate jon :thumbup:

Get the stove installation signed off as safe to use, this is a legal requirement. If your neighbor is jarred off and its not signed off he may talk to the local building inspectorate, thats bad news for you. Suggest you use an independent building inspector and not the council one.

As long as your flue pipe terminates over 2.3m ( may be 2.5m) from your neighbors window then you are legal but look at it from his point of view. It might be advisable to extend your flue pipe upwards by a meter or so.

A

I would disagree with the above posts in that Part J is only a minimum requirement, you have to ensure that smoke does disturb your neighbours. Yes, having it signed off is a must but it's not everything.

Best advice is to be as conscientous as possible, kindle it hot and fast, burn smaller bits of well seasoned wood, not big wet logs obviously, and don't slumber it at the end of the burn.. open up all the vents and let it burn out as quickly as possible..

Maybe invite him round for a few beers and show him how little smoke it creates, but from your side of the fence..