a few chopping boards

delabodge

Has anybody seen the cutting boards made by Burrwood boards

they look fantastic and some are inlaid with a coloured resin

don't know what the resin is but it must be food safe,looks fantastic

Just looked at there site. They look good but are they any better than some of the stuff you guys make? Sure there good bits of wood with a thick shiny finish but there is lovely stuff posted on here. Would the filler used have to be food safe? There are lots of nylon and plastic chopping boards about and I would not want to ingest either of them. I recon it is just some colored epoxy but could be wrong.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A company called Trylon sells resins plus colour pastes and sintered metals to use as fillers. I've not used the coloured pastes but have used the metals a lot. My preference is the bronze metal which polishes to a lovely shine but I've also used the aluminium and old silver. Quite pricey, so I often use just plain resin to fill deep holes then add a final thin layer of the 'cold cast metal'. Don't be put off by the initial appearance which my sister described as 'diarrhoea' the first time she tried it on some oak flooring. The metals do polish well but it really needs a powered sander. Not sure if it is food safe but I'm sure Trylon could advise about that.

Andrew

I have two rob,,one I use for planks, a 24" robinson,,,10.hp,,its a beast,,,,and a smaller 10" for dimensioning stock for benches etc,,less agressive,,,both get well looked after, greased and oiled regularly,,,:thumbup: they save so much sanding,,,,

I am seriously envious of your 24" thicknesser. I have a 12.5" DeWalt DW733, which is nominally portable if your arms are up to it. It's a fantastic machine for its price - really built to last and I've thrown a huge amount of stuff through it (I bought it secondhand on ebay and since then have fully worn out two full sets of knives) but I could do with something wider.

For doing the job by hand, one tool I would recommend looking out for is a scrub plane. It's purely manual, but like side axes or adzes, it's one of those hand tools which actually does a better, faster job than any power tool I've come across. You can either leave the surface it creates 'as is' or quickly dress it off with a jointer plane (hand or electric) before sanding.

Alec

the boards have been seasoning for over four yrs, I first air dry them outside, then bring them into my cold store(ie back workshop)then move the planks under my workshop bench for a few months as its warmer in there, so basically slowly lowering the moisture content, second stage is to surface plane them to get a flat surface,then wack them through the thicknesser, cut out the boards using a template made from hardboard,then sand,,to about 320 grit, wet the surface to raise the grain(with water)then sand again when dry to 400 grit!,,,not had one split or warp yet, and have made over a hundred last yr,,,,!:001_rolleyes:

Thanks for the info! Doesn't sound like I can just nip outside and cut a couple up then:biggrin:

I think I'll put aside the next nice looking piece I get and see if I have the patience to see it out....

Thanks again

Rob

I am seriously envious of your 24" thicknesser. I have a 12.5" DeWalt DW733, which is nominally portable if your arms are up to it. It's a fantastic machine for its price - really built to last and I've thrown a huge amount of stuff through it (I bought it secondhand on ebay and since then have fully worn out two full sets of knives) but I could do with something wider.

For doing the job by hand, one tool I would recommend looking out for is a scrub plane. It's purely manual, but like side axes or adzes, it's one of those hand tools which actually does a better, faster job than any power tool I've come across. You can either leave the surface it creates 'as is' or quickly dress it off with a jointer plane (hand or electric) before sanding.

Alec

ha ha ,,i wonder if you bought mine,,? I sold a DW733,,,and actually found the spare (sharpened) blades the other day,,,do you want them? it is a great machine, but love the robinson, have watched it used by two old sawmills over the last 20 yrs, and finally got my hand on it last yr,,,:thumbup:

Thanks for the info! Doesn't sound like I can just nip outside and cut a couple up then:biggrin:

I think I'll put aside the next nice looking piece I get and see if I have the patience to see it out....

Thanks again

Rob

rob you probably can use your own wood, and yes it might warp a bit, but if its only for your own use it wont matter,,you should see the state of the one I use lol:001_rolleyes:

ha ha ,,i wonder if you bought mine,,? I sold a DW733,,,and actually found the spare (sharpened) blades the other day,,,do you want them? it is a great machine, but love the robinson, have watched it used by two old sawmills over the last 20 yrs, and finally got my hand on it last yr,,,:thumbup:

Suspect it wasn't your machine - it was a few years ago now (Mark 1 rather than Mark 2) and came from somewhere on the South Coast, absolutely covered in sawdust even after a trip up on a pallet.

If yours was a Mark 1 I'd be interested in the blades - I only have one set running at the moment and prefer to run them in pairs so I can have one set off being sharpened.

I know someone with a 30" planer down in Milford, so I batch up my wider boards and take them down there.

Alec