Dorset/Devon Style a little different again

Dorset Hedgelayer

All hazel hedge on Dorset/Devon bank, @Melplash Show 011.

We always have a training day just before the Melplash ploughing and hedging show.

Blackdown hills over into Devon always a good contest and a good day out with plenty going on , normaly early March sometime

This year (012) @ Melplash show we had someone working a camera :001_smile: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQzpc4QIXC4]Melplash Hedging & Ploughing Match Pt.1 - Hedging - YouTube[/ame]

597662cd3a892_1315843237-Melplash-finished-hedge-20111.jpg.8c21357cdb4f26f6855ae1ba318585d6.jpg

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thank you for posting video of melplash and to see this style being laid.

please let us know when you know the next show is on be good to come down for training day and maybe enter comp next day.

Russell for your diary 23rd of febuary Isle of wight championships at poss calbourne. same site as last year chris

Edited by hedgesparrow

thank you for posting video of melplash and to see this style being laid.

please let us know when you know the next show is on be good to come down for training day and maybe enter comp next day.

Russell for your diary 23rd of febuary Isle of wight championships at poss calbourne. same site as last year chris

Ref video theres a part 2 covering the ploughing and prize giving.....Last 3 years wanted to get over to IoW for that 1, after doing some home work I see the OLD IoW style was very much like ours, but over the years they have taken on the South of England style,

have been told I could come over and do a demo section,

:001_rolleyes:

come over cracking day out we had a good day last year i came 3rd Jamie 5th and hans 1st in novice section. out of 20 cutters so was pleased with result as first comp we had all done. plus have a good food tent with bacon sarnies and good coffee plus stands in tent of different tools for hedgelaying

going over night before this year as getting a 5.30am ferry is a bit early. as its still nighttime when we leave.:laugh1:

be good to see you over there. i believe its same site as last year colbourne

this site is a gem of info what some nice laid hedges. and learnt something never thought you could lay laurel, now proved wrong it can what cracking jobs. nice to see different styles have to say i do like the double devon style. as good as south of england. thank you for photo,s.

need a sub site for hedgelaying as there is a few on this forum.

be interested if you run a day laying Devon/Dorset style coming down for a day to learn. if you do please pm thank you chris

Hi, if you are interested in a course get in touch with the blackdown hills hedge association. they run courses every month. and are all very experienced with a number of national champions. if you could get a group of experienced people together they might do a more advanced course. i could ask next week as i am working with a few of them for a couple of months.

cheers liam

ps i think a sub site would be a good idea

• 1 month later...

nice job Russell good to see watch this space may have our own sub forum for us cutters to drawl over our hedges:biggrin:must get some photos of this hazel we are doing. its a when we can job so will not get to it for a couple of weeks. saw a cracking hedge near me hotel had a guy in with a saw cut the tops and sides off and chipped it must get up there and see if i can lay it in autumn.

will get some photos of a hedge i saw flailed. well thats not the truth butchered it never seen such a bad job. the operator wants banning from using it bloody menace. heard it was the farmers son say no more