Dorset/Devon Style a little different again

Dorset Hedgelayer

If Ive managed to do this correctly there should be a before and after of a Laurel hedge just done in North France and a beech here in Dorset....

A little out of season picture,

Owners of the Laurel hedge I did back in December have just sent me there "phone" picture.

Ive got just a mere 70inch span , you can just about make out both sides of the hedge, it was blocking the edge of the road sign you can just see and also see what it was going down to (about 4x3 foot), coming towards the font of the picture between the 2 oaks.

074.jpg.3239c8e5118235aae806eaecb55e84c7.jpg

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

Last weekends demo at the Classic & Vintage show West Bay.

Weather was good just the wind coming from the N/NE strange summer weather at the moment.

Flat land not the best to show our style, far short of importing 2 ton of soil, making & turfing a bank then "planting the hedge" each time.

Plenty of interest still though. There's a bit of a match between I remember my Grandad or I remember Dad always used to do the hedging on his/our old farm. Then its closely followed by either "don't see it done much now" or "nice to see it still being done".

Then after hearing there great old storys, theres normally some comet about tractors & flails:001_tongue: as were all stood around looking at nice old classic & vintage tractors going by.

Then you seem to hear almost the same thing again

I remember my Grandad or I remember Dad always used to have one like that on his/our old farm. :lol::laugh1:

Good weekend was had that's the main thing.

DSCF7376.jpg.115db5375ef63cc9c96d7e506a4d1cb0.jpg

07062013280.jpg.a35bb30d8a4d86ac7c7e2acf4ffaaeef.jpg

• 2 months later...

Well hedging season soon be here so that means winter not far away :001_rolleyes:

Ive borrowed this bit of Info taken from Melplash website

---------------------------------------------------

The annual Melplash Agricultural Society’s Hedge Laying & Ploughing Match will be held on Saturday 21st September 2013 at Higher Langdon, near Beaminster (DT8 3NN) by kind permission of Mrs Tessa Mackenzie-Green. We will also be offering our free hedge laying training course again on Saturday 14th September, 1.30-5.30pm at Corscombe. The training day is completely free and open to Novices and Young Farmers' Club members. If you are interested in attending either of these events please contact the office on 01308 423 337.

-----------------------------------------------------

If you would like to enter, it will be in the Dorset/Devon style

http://www.melplashshow.co.uk/pdf/Melplash%20Hedging%20&%20Ploughing%20Schedule%202013.pdf

if your a contester you know the way these thing run and rough "rules" for want of word

even if you dont enter but your in the area be good to see you, not sure if theres beer tent yet

want to come down even if its just to look. unless Dorset you fancy entering as a pair be happy to have a go.

nice job did you get a lot of interest. have alresford and romsey show coming up. will be laying south of england

Edited by hedgesparrow

Are the hedges dead hedged or left attached? I don't understand his he laurel is dine. They look great and hope I can get half as good one day.

Look up Blackdown Hills Hedging there the best bet for down your way (Devon), Have word with George Pidgeon they run training days Axminster/Dunkerswell way.