ride on mower?

mowingjamie

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hi guys, thanks for all the replys so far. I know some of you are Etesia fans and some not so, but i have a old (about 1995) etesia MVEHH without a collector just the rear grass deflector, it needs a real good tidy up and something is wrong with the drive, it works but will only go forward or back if theres no weight on the mower and squeels seriously loud. I bought this a few months back last year for £300 but just abandoned it and started looking for something a bit more working, is it worth putting any money into the old etesia or go for something else?

Whilst involved in grass cutting for the summer period, I have no experience of the type of mower you are after.

Plus NI grass is a kinda special:lol: it stands some cutting when wet which is most weeks.

We bought 355 JD diesels with mulching decks, really a glorified domestic machine.

Despite the horribly rattly 2 cyl Yanmar engine they are as tough as old boots.

Rarely give trouble despite being kept far too long (simply cannot get a direct replacment)

The key is our use of mulching decks, JD's are simply superb, though they have a tendency to eat rather expensive deck timing belts.

A price worth paying.

OK the grass is cut on mostly a weekly basis, but one would swear it was boxed off.

I'd fully endorse the use of mulching decks.The company I sub for went over to mulching decks 3 years ago on all their machinery(ride on and walk behind) and have never looked back.The grass on all the sites looks healthier and stronger. The trick is to cut the grass regularly and you'll never tell the differance between mulch and cut and collect.

I'd fully endorse the use of mulching decks.The company I sub for went over to mulching decks 3 years ago on all their machinery(ride on and walk behind) and have never looked back.The grass on all the sites looks healthier and stronger. The trick is to cut the grass regularly and you'll never tell the differance between mulch and cut and collect.

Ahah

someone else who has discovered the benefits of mulching. None of that grass box emptying and grass disposal. It's much quicker and as you say- the grass benefits from it. A good mulching mower will disappear the grass clippings and save you time.

Try telling that to clients with £200 a square metre carpets that think there going to have grass dragged in on shoes and ruined. On the upside ive won a lot of contracts from firms who will only mulch as they blaze in once a fortnight and leave it looking like a hay field. With the weather predicted to get wetter in this country mulching will become less easier ideally you need short dry grass, most of our cutting in the past year has been done in an inch of water .:001_smile:

Try telling that to clients with £200 a square metre carpets that think there going to have grass dragged in on shoes and ruined. On the upside ive won a lot of contracts from firms who will only mulch as they blaze in once a fortnight and leave it looking like a hay field. With the weather predicted to get wetter in this country mulching will become less easier ideally you need short dry grass, most of our cutting in the past year has been done in an inch of water .:001_smile:

slippers:001_smile:

Mulching is indeed more dificult in wet conditions, but so is collection, in fact some collectors won't work at all in the wet.

You have to learn to work with a mulching mower, but when you understand them they are brilliant.

I always tell customers with mulchers that they should cut just before it needs cutting, then they will get a fantastic finish.