ride on mower?

mowingjamie

The choice of mower will depend on several factors

Firstly you say 'grass cutting business'

I have customers who cut mostly small areas with pedestrian mowers, but have the odd contract for larger lawns, and 'one offs' that require a ride on.

I have others who cut mostly large areas with ride ons.

The first group usually have a decent domestic machine which suits them fine, the second have a pro machine.

Obviously, cost is a factor, as is storage and transportation method.

As others have said, if in the second category, you should avoid domestic machines and go for pro machines, most will be in the 5-7k new price bracket unless considering 4wds, or triples etc.

If in the first category, which it sounds like you are, you have to be very careful in your choice. There are many so called collectors which simply won't collect damp or long grass.

The quality of many is also poor an running costs can be high.

Westwood and Countax have been mentioned, I would avoid these like the plague, they cut very poorly and are unreliable with high maintenance costs. Sure, the brush collector works well but is very cumbersome in use.

Avoid the smaller cheaper side discharge machines. They will not collect unless fitted with a side blower, which is not an option on most machines in this category.

The John Deere X155 is a good bet, it is well built and collects well. The X300, or 305 are even better built and collect very well due to their turbo fan which takes grass from the centre of the deck and blasts it into the grass box.

As Likeit says, mulchers, especially the Stiga are very good, but you do have to work with them and are probably not best suited to irregular cuts.

As others have said, find a decent machine and ask on here. Someone will have first hand experience and offer advice on that particular machine.

Hope this helps.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this is like the one i have been offered:

Etesia ride on mower MVEHH | eBay

any good? i have a few husqvarna selfpropelled mowers and love them for what i do at the moment, but i have had to turn down jobs with much larger lawns because of lack of time and equipment, since lack of time will not be a problem in the new year i want to sort out a ride on mower for these larger lawns, eg upto 1 acre. but i hate buying equipment that just isnt upto daily use and having constant repairs. Collecting in wet weather is pretty much a must. The ride on will also have to be able to fit on my ifor williams 10 x 5ft trailer.

many thanks for your replys so far.

Good mower, well built, well spec'd, good thickness drive belts, good collector,

it would suit you well. Spares, although seldom needed are very reasonably priced.

But this one is over priced, its done a full season in the toughest conditions for years.

I sold these for £3090 in april and for £3230 now. It needs to have lost at least 25% of its purchase price.

this is like the one i have been offered:

Etesia ride on mower MVEHH | eBay

any good? i have a few husqvarna selfpropelled mowers and love them for what i do at the moment, but i have had to turn down jobs with much larger lawns because of lack of time and equipment, since lack of time will not be a problem in the new year i want to sort out a ride on mower for these larger lawns, eg upto 1 acre. but i hate buying equipment that just isnt upto daily use and having constant repairs. Collecting in wet weather is pretty much a must. The ride on will also have to be able to fit on my ifor williams 10 x 5ft trailer.

many thanks for your replys so far.

Sorry, I have no direct knowledge of this model, but have to admit to being impressed with the build quality of the Etesias I look after. Can't comment on how they perform as I have never used one.

If you can stretch your budget try and go diesel with a fan assisted collector.

Something like the Kubota G series, or Deere 455.

Had my 455 for 3 years. Had 2 breakdowns, both a blocked fuel filter (my fault for dirty red diesel....). Works very fast even in the wet and earns good money!

If you can stretch your budget try and go diesel with a fan assisted collector.

Something like the Kubota G series, or Deere 455.

Had my 455 for 3 years. Had 2 breakdowns, both a blocked fuel filter (my fault for dirty red diesel....). Works very fast even in the wet and earns good money!

We have a gr2100 glide steer which is 4x4 but is not fan assisted?this cuts lawns or rougher areas and as said diesel is superb, parts though are an arm and leg then some I have written before that at 600 hours the pto clutch broke £600 for parts alone steering cables break regular as well but it does make a very good job around 7k

hi guys, im new to the fourm being a electrician but leaving my job feb/march to become selfemployed to continue and expand my grass cutting business (i must be mad). I know its not quite your side of work but I've followed this forum for a while now and trust your views. I have been looking at a few ride on mowers (2nd hand) and been supprised by the good reviews the Etesia mowers get, ive got the chance of getting a etesia MVEHH ride on with about 800 hours made in 2002/3, for the price of £1800 does this sound like a good price for the age? Would you recomend something else in that price range eg. john deere? must be able to collect grass and at least 40" cut. Any suggestions would be a massive help!

Cheere Jamie.

go diesel and run on red. Etesia are profession mowers design to work they are good mowers but alot seem to be petrol.

john deer do alot of domestic machines as well as bigger professional kit the bigger diesel stuff is good

kubota is the way to go

we have a zero turn gzd21 it will collect wet or dry long or short grass and leaves a good finish. its one of the best mowers we use. they is only one problem there £13,000 new :confused1: but second hand kubota ride ons are out there as a starter machine for a few grand ?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnQadp4UX-g]kubota high tip ride on mower gzd21 - YouTube[/ame]

Etesia mowers, never really come into contact with them, but i know loads of people who have and they say stay well clear, there crap.

Get real all big ground care contractors have an Etesia hydro80 and iseki sxg19

in there fleet the 80 will go through a garden gate and has a good turning circle the 19 will cut collect with a fine finish. I have all so got a hydro 100 which is an awesome mower do your homework before you say something is crap not just what fred down the pub said.:001_smile: