Home Made Log Splitter

haggismuncher1984

my old mans first tractor splitter was like that. i used to kneel up on the tractor seat with my arse on the steering wheel operating the lever, but i would get bored and day dream then the next minute the tractor would stall because the ram was a baw hair too long and then he would go bonkers.

my brother sylvestri stew fell asleep once while operating dads first petrol splitter, well when i say fell asleep i mean he must of got monoxide poisining because they were in a home made shelter. oh the good old days.

i am just up the rd mate in largs, if you are ever passing look me up.

stevie:001_smile:

Forgot about that :sleep:

but saying that I don't remember mutch since then:sleep:

I do think I nearly chopped of his hand so I suppose I'm lucky to be here at all

:bash:

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course a bigger pump will make it cycle faster. The ram speed is determined by the flow rate, i.e. how quickly the pump can fill the ram with oil. Basic Hydraulic Fact.

Nice splitter - I would suggest you put soem cheek plates on it and a table grate. will save you having to pick up logs to re-split them. heres a pic to show you what I mean -

TW-P1.jpg

I don`t think a PTO pump would make much difference to the speed of that splitter, the ram size is why it is slow.

The best you will get is to let the return pipe go straight into the back end of the tractor if your using a spool block on the splitter, this will remove any back pressure .

Don`t forget the other use for this type of splitter is to hold cord wood if your cutting it up with a chainsaw, excellent clamps!

Post the result if you do go for a PTO pump , it will be interesting to know if it makes it quicker

I was reading the MF 290's manual and the pump out put is only 8 gallons per min at 2000 revs well i don't rum the tractor at that speed because the it is hard on the tractor and hard on the wallet. I think that a hi output pump like a 16 gallon min + pump would speed up the ram and still allow the the tractor on tickover. I think i will attach the splitter to a tractor with a higher oil output to see if it does speed up the ram. If it dose then i will get a PTO pump.

I will have a go at clamping the wood tomorrow in the splitter when i am cutting it up. It's a sweet idea Thanks :001_smile:

flow rate to an external implement is only as good as the smallest point in the system , you can have 200ltr per min pump but you won`t get 200lts out of a 1/4 inch pipe in 1 minute.

My sugestion was to make the current system as fast as can be then decide if more speed is needed and is it worth hundreds of pounds on pumps,tanks and possiblly bigger pipes.

I doubt it will be,

But you have built alot more things than me Ed and you will probablly be able to tell him how much quicker for how many £££:001_smile:

flow rate to an external implement is only as good as the smallest point in the system , you can have 200ltr per min pump but you won`t get 200lts out of a 1/4 inch pipe in 1 minute.

:

you will... but you will generate a LOT of heat in the process:001_smile:

If I run the logsplitter off the MF135 hydraulics with it set on constant pump the revs need to be up and it sups a fair amount of diesel in a day. On the other hand if I run the same splitter off a little kubota and a PTO pump the splitter is both faster and more powerful with the throttle set just off tickover.

• 2 months later...

I made this splitter to run off my mini digger. I have one of the thor 8t splitters, real good machine, but it's just too slow, and it struggles with a cross cutter on it.

I can cut upto 18 inch rings with this splitter if there not too knotty, but it zooms through 12 inch with ease. Other than the H beam the rest of it's made with with hardened steel.

25032009127.jpg.3e3ca5ea31d670a280ea3c8ab84b5580.jpg[/ATTACH]

05042009145.jpg.3c080f3c0bd3eaa3fa0ca517dcbcacb6.jpg