Home Made Log Splitter

haggismuncher1984

Hi Guys thought you might be interested in having alook at my home built log splitter. My dad and i built it from an old bail spike frame and an 8" H-Iron girder. The ram if off an old digger and the rest of the steel was what we had around the farm. It will split 21/2 ft thick rings of any diamiter and it can be raised an lowered on the 3 point linkage to make it easyer to lift big rings on to it. It is a tad on the slow side because it runs off the tractor spool valves. But i am planning to fit a PTO pump and resivoir to the splitter to speed things up.

Incidently if anyone has an old pto pump knocking about and are willing to part with it then give me a shout.

[ame=http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=3EtAvLboLWE]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=3EtAvLboLWE[/ame]

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bob on that mate, remember slow equals safe!! At least at that speed you can control the log nicely, The faster you go the more prone you are to accident.

Quality machine you got there though

Yeah i know the pto pump is also to improve on efficency so i can run the tractor on tickover and save fuel. i also put a self returning spool valve on so if you let go the ram stops. I have seen alot of home built machines that have locking spool valves on them and in my opinion that is quite dangerous as the ram will keep on chopping your arm off even if you let go of the valve.:scared1:

Yeah i know the pto pump is also to improve on efficency so i can run the tractor on tickover and save fuel. i also put a self returning spool valve on so if you let go the ram stops. I have seen alot of home built machines that have locking spool valves on them and in my opinion that is quite dangerous as the ram will keep on chopping your arm off even if you let go of the valve.:scared1:

my old mans first tractor splitter was like that. i used to kneel up on the tractor seat with my arse on the steering wheel operating the lever, but i would get bored and day dream then the next minute the tractor would stall because the ram was a baw hair too long and then he would go bonkers.

my brother sylvestri stew fell asleep once while operating dads first petrol splitter, well when i say fell asleep i mean he must of got monoxide poisining because they were in a home made shelter. oh the good old days.

i am just up the rd mate in largs, if you are ever passing look me up.

stevie:001_smile:

Well good splitter mate, damn good effort looks really proffesional. Slow and steady wins the race and keeps your hands attached to your arms. M y old man works for Mc Alpines as a Fitter/welder come Engineer. He made a hydraulic log splitter aswell works wonders. Who needs to spend good money on something that with a little know how and determination you can make yourself. :thumbup1:

Yeah we were going to build it that way but with the weight of the beam and the ram would have been to much to have hanging out the back. It would have been a hassel to strengthen the whole design to take the weight. That is why we made go across the back of the tractor. the down side is that the wood can pile up underneath the back of the tractor but it is a small price to pay. The up side of the the design is that we attached a tow hitch in the centre of the beam so that we can tow our trailor behind the log splitter to a job.

I don`t think a PTO pump would make much difference to the speed of that splitter, the ram size is why it is slow.

The best you will get is to let the return pipe go straight into the back end of the tractor if your using a spool block on the splitter, this will remove any back pressure .

Don`t forget the other use for this type of splitter is to hold cord wood if your cutting it up with a chainsaw, excellent clamps!

Post the result if you do go for a PTO pump , it will be interesting to know if it makes it quicker