derbyshire style hedge laying

hedgesparrow

anyone do this style may have a job to do to close a gap where people have been using it as a short cut. looked at this style as i believe you use stakes and baton and lay hedge against it any advice appreciated only do midland and south so new style to do. if they see a sort of fence may put them off using it. i know if i put in hazel stakes and binders will try and go through and make a mess to tidy up

thank you so the stakes and sawn timber is yorkshire. do you lay it same as midland then put in stakes and put rail in how does the laid hedge stay in place.

stafford is this a sub style of midland. down on the isle of wight there is there style lay the brash down on floor and peg it down with hazel hook like double devon without bank. not done very much south of england and midland taken over. any more info and if you have some piccies of the hedge be appreciated. like to try my hand at a new style. saw them doing derby at nats couple of year back using chestnut stakes. you have two staggard rows with hedge in middle if i am right

Edited by hedgesparrow

Stafford is a sub style. The top is self-bound using your pleachers. Derby, as I know it, uses sawn stakes and the top is unbound as it only had to keep sheep whereas Midland and Stafford should be bullock proof with tighter stake spacing.

Our local comps use only these styles. The very first comp I won was finished with a heather top to the bindings but not sure why heather was introduced. Hence the alternative name for the binding is heatherings.

Derbyshire style (Hedges and hedgelaying by Murray Maclean)

The pleachers are woven in thick and tight to give the hedge adequate support in the absence of binders along the top. The stakes are placed behind the line of the roots. Pleachers are exposed on the near side, while the brush is left on the field side similar to the midland style. sawn softwood stakes can be used in the absence of suitable material.

Yorkshire stile has evolved predominantly because of the 'scratty' state of the hedges that we have to work with in Yorkshire. 95% of what we lay is 'overipe' hawthorn, and its realy a case of doing your best with each pleach. Everything is cut very hard back in the hope of maximum re growth. The lack of Hazel etc up here has led to the take up of sawn timber.

This might be the best stile if you want to discourage people from pushing through your fresh layings.

Regards

Hi everybody look at this site the national hedge laying society http://www.hedgelaying.org.uk

Midland and Derby are slightly different in the way you build the hedge

Yorkshire is only layed when there is no stock in the fields as in the past on the old field rotation

And please if you want to do hedge laying then ask for some help and learn the skill/craft also if you wish take alook at my site Yorkshire tree surgery arborist, Hedgelaying,Training :thumbup:

Edited by phirow