Can i fell this tree legally??

jimbomags

Didn't mean to offend (wing it!!) but I still disagree entirely with working like this. How would anyone feel should something go wrong? How much is a cs 30, 31 versus spending your life not knowing if there was something else that you could have done to stop the accident from occuring (should anyone be that unfortunate). All I am saying is that hypothetically things could go wrong and potentially ruin someones life and all for the sake of trying to save a few quid. As Hodge said it is things like this that devalue the job that we love doing. As for the chainsaw on others property, whilst I was at college we were always taught that the land/home owner should clarify that the operator has some sort of training because should something go wrong the HSE and the courts will not say "oh it is ok he was not charging for this one". When all is said and done if something should happen I would rather have the ticket than not, and with that said the correct PL insurance also. Plus once the ticket is attained there are other jobs that you can do without any qualms.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Plus it states that he has his own PL insurance that doesn't cover him so I would imagine that if he had an accident and they found he was running his own business (self employed) then he might well be left high and dry even if the home insurance company say yes, and find after the event that he is doing groundcare as a profession.

just a quick thought,probably veering the thread totally off course!

im self employed,with relevant certification insurance etc etc, but what still astounds me to this day is that every PL & EL insurance company that i have been with has never asked to see any certification of competance what so ever.

I can produce certification to them upon request if required for me and my staff but it looks to me that Joe Bloggs can apply for 5 million pl insurance on "good faith" grounds.

they seem to go off a £££ payroll for what %%% of your earnings come from work at certain heights?

you could quite easily clean the side out of a property with a big old pollard butt 10ft tall that you are lifting out of a property.using no formal qualification but be experianced?!

presumably the grief occurs if you have an error with no ticket then come to claim, and they turn round and say sorry no ticket insurance is now void!!

confused.com

just a quick thought,probably veering the thread totally off course!

im self employed,with relevant certification insurance etc etc, but what still astounds me to this day is that every PL & EL insurance company that i have been with has never asked to see any certification of competance what so ever.

I can produce certification to them upon request if required for me and my staff but it looks to me that Joe Bloggs can apply for 5 million pl insurance on "good faith" grounds.

they seem to go off a £££ payroll for what %%% of your earnings come from work at certain heights?

you could quite easily clean the side out of a property with a big old pollard butt 10ft tall that you are lifting out of a property.using no formal qualification but be experianced?!

presumably the grief occurs if you have an error with no ticket then come to claim, and they turn round and say sorry no ticket insurance is now void!!

confused.com

Its not up to the insurance company to make sure you are adequately qualified they are just happy to have your money, its up to YOU to MAKE SURE you have read and understood fully the conditions of your policy, (the small print/caveats that they WILL have in place to remove liability should they deem you have not complied with there conditions) This will include- was a Risk Assessment done, LOLA Dates for kit and they could even ask to inspect your equipment to make sure its fit for purpose,when was your last H&S INSPECTION ? When the POO, how ever small it may be, hits the fan, its surprising what a mess it can make. I hope no one takes offence and all other post have not offended me its good to hear the difference of opinions, this is also one reason why we have such wide differences in pricing of jobs , those members like myself who do comply fully with current legislation and are well qualified will always be more expensive than those who don't. One last thing, the more qualifications you have and memberships to recognized Associations the cheaper your insurance will be, and should you have to make a claim they will look into everything.

didnt mean to stir up hornets nest on first post. Had a pm offering to do the job if they still want it doing.... still confused though cos i can use an axe to cut it down but not chainsaw????????????

as regards to me getting cs qualifications i'm 45 years old and it seems big expense for something i may never use and at my age i dont think i would get many job offers with little experience.

Think i'll be leaving it to the pros from now on !!

thanks forall the replies Jim

Its not up to the insurance company to make sure you are adequately qualified they are just happy to have your money, its up to YOU to MAKE SURE you have read and understood fully the conditions of your policy, (the small print/caveats that they WILL have in place to remove liability should they deem you have not complied with there conditions) This will include- was a Risk Assessment done, LOLA Dates for kit and they could even ask to inspect your equipment to make sure its fit for purpose,when was your last H&S INSPECTION ? When the POO, how ever small it may be, hits the fan, its surprising what a mess it can make. I hope no one takes offence and all other post have not offended me its good to hear the difference of opinions, this is also one reason why we have such wide differences in pricing of jobs , those members like myself who do comply fully with current legislation and are well qualified will always be more expensive than those who don't. One last thing, the more qualifications you have and memberships to recognized Associations the cheaper your insurance will be, and should you have to make a claim they will look into everything.

Not a diffrence of opinion pal,merely an observation ive made over the years when it comes to liability.

Insurance will always be a grey area as they always have the upper hand when it comes to smallprint and loopholes.As you say the best way to keep safe is dot the IIII's & cross the TTTT's make sure your current with the legislation and paperwork. :001_smile: