ArcGIS10 - Best laptop for under or around 400

Hello all.

Am afraid I'm not the best with computers despite requesting info on GIS.

I'm after a laptop to run ArcGIS v10 but I only have around 400 to spend.

Can anyone who uses the program advise me on some laptops. I know I'll have to either get a second hand or reconditioned one however this does not bother me.

Aside from Arc, all I'd be using the laptop for is watching films, some photo' editing and word/excel programs. No fancy gaming capabilities are needed.

I'll need this laptop to last so emphasis would be on build quality however speed to run the required programs is needed. Am I asking to much for to little money? Am afraid my budget is fixed.

Kind regards

• 2 weeks later...

My memories of running ArcGIS was that it requires RAM. Lots of RAM. Think of a size of RAM and add to it the same number again and you might be in the region of how much you need.

Whatever laptop you get make sure it either comes with lots or has the ability to add more to it.

Why are you running ArcGIS anyway? If for work then they should provide one. If for pleasure then you need to get out more! :)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Typsey

I ended up getting a new samsung series 3 with an i5 (2nd gen'), 6gb of ram and the ability to upgrade to plenty more. Originally the laptop was to run ArcGIS for uni' however, I regret to say I do often run it for pleasure (I'm running out of new/different base maps now). My only excuse for this is that is raining heavily outside so I can't get out and interact with reality at the moment :laugh1:

p.s. your right, the more ram the better! hoping to get a ssd fitted once I have some spare cash

Edited by jimmylad