SRT for beginners?

i am slightly biased towards ddrt the benifits of srt are there no doubt if your saying whats the difference between me and a beginner in throwlining i would say there is a great deal of difference and a fair few more hours cursing and kicking the ground

i was pointing out that it may be a slightly more time consuming way of getting up the tree because it is very heavily based on your throwlining skills....and the other point of equipment used is very key aswell because i learnt to climb on lanyard and mainline and it is very simple and nearly fool proof.

Question .. can you advance on srt like you can on ddrt

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats exactly the point. 2 different systems, still one bit of rope, still the same Achilles heal. So why cant a newbie learn SRTWP instead of DRT :biggrin:

I just think that the advantages too a beginner in Ddrt out ways srt. I think you can learn srt, defiantly.but I just think you should learn simple before technical,I mean how will a beginner work out what's double loads on an anchor and what doesn't?

Jake:thumbup1:

i am slightly biased towards ddrt the benifits of srt are there no doubt if your saying whats the difference between me and a beginner in throwlining i would say there is a great deal of difference and a fair few more hours cursing and kicking the ground

i was pointing out that it may be a slightly more time consuming way of getting up the tree because it is very heavily based on your throwlining skills....and the other point of equipment used is very key aswell because i learnt to climb on lanyard and mainline and it is very simple and nearly fool proof.

Yes and different.

Yes you can climb up and use it like drt until you reach your tip point. Or you can advance from you throwline point with strops and crabs. I have done this many a time on poplars which have dead tops that cannot be felled out in a 1, it allows you to progress (with high levels of anxiety) :thumbup1:

Apologies then, I thought you meant strength of anchors.then I will agree with you that it will take a beginner a lot longer too throw a tip than ourselves.

I just think that the advantages too a beginner in Ddrt out ways srt. I think you can learn srt, defiantly.but I just think you should learn simple before technical,I mean how will a beginner work out what's double loads on an anchor and what doesn't?

Through guided instruction? Ok so DRT you'll use say a prussick, SRT, RW, pantin and a distel.

The more im thinking about it the more i cannot see why you wouldnt teach SRT to a novice under guidance like you would on DRT :confused1:

can climb up and use it like drt until you reach your tip point. Or you can advance from you throwline point with strops and crabs. I have done this many a time on poplars which have dead tops that cannot be felled out in a 1, it allows you to progress (with high levels of anxiety) :thumbup1:

Sorry I know it's not to do with the thread but can you please talk me through advancing with strops and slings Ian.

Through guided instruction? Ok so DRT you'll use say a prussick, SRT, RW, pantin and a distel.

The more im thinking about it the more i cannot see why you wouldnt teach SRT to a novice under guidance like you would on DRT :confused1:

Because of branch walks and other climbs which do not require you to go strait up into the canopy. I mean when you first started there is no way you were able to get out on branches like you do now.most beginners would put in a second anchor,which would probably be Ddrt.then it becomes confusing if you have 2 wrenches or if you have 2 different setup s.

Because of branch walks and other climbs which do not require you to go strait up into the canopy. I mean when you first started there is no way you were able to get out on branches like you do now.most beginners would put in a second anchor,which would probably be Ddrt.then it becomes confusing if you have 2 wrenches or if you have 2 different setup s.

I would recommend to any climber to have a long lanyard that you can use as a second system. I use one all the time and would never go back to a standard length!