• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have exactly the same problem.

Rented property, fires put in on the cheap, chimney is lower than ridge, when the wind is blowing on the side of the house the chimney is on, the air is forced against the roof which causes a pressure build up, the pressure needs to go somewhere mainly up and over the ridge which would create excellent up draft if chimney was on the ridge, unfortunately because of the stack situation it tries to come down the chimney.

Best remedy i found when lighting the fire is to open the nearest window to the fire, because the wall is vertical the pressure build up is much higher against the wall than on the roof and therefore the air will flood through the window and be forced up the chimney. hey presto 3 or 4 minutes later the fire is roaring, the flue is hot, shut the window and enjoy the warmth and not the smoke.

Also make sure there is an air brick/air inlet near the fire for normal running. couldn't see one in the pic but sure its there somewhere.

Cheers guys,

No trees nearby but a few houses that are taller than the cottage. The chimney is higher than the ridge tiles.

The smoke is coming out of the actual stove from around the glass and the vents.

Not sure about the ventilation into the room?

Thanks again.

If you are not sure about the ventilation you need to check it, as the fire wont burn properly and can release danderous gasses!!! Is there a clear route from the outside for air to flow to the fire? Have you got any kitchen or bathroom extractor fans that are sucking air out of the house and drawing fresh air DOWN the flue?

All of the above, but if the burner has not been used for a while they can be a bit of a pain, in older properties the flue can sweat and become damp.

In my last house I used a blow torch to get some heat into the flue, then fire lighter plus a good stack of dry wood, light it with the blow torch and then slowly close the door still using the torch until you can feel the in rush of air feeding the fire, you should get a slight roaring sound. Leave the door open so the air keeps rushing in, it will burn the wood quick but don't worry about that. Once going keep adding dry Kinderling until you have a really good blaze going, then slowly add logs.

If its possible, I would burn Kinderling or other bits of dry soft wood to keep it going strong as his will dry the flue out. You may find that this is the way you have to lite it every time as some flues no matter how clear, long etc just struggle to work effectively, but once going it should be fine. Future fires should only take a small amount of Kinderling to start.

Invest in a blow torch.

hi. can i be obvious and ask if your stove has a damper in the flue. can't make it out but it looks like a savoy from franco belge. if so, the stove is a good unit and usually trouble free, as the previous posts have said, try and crack a window open when lighting to get some air movement. chimney clear- enough ventilation-door seals okat- it can only be a chimney proble. look for downdraught ( if you are in a low pressure zone or the terminal is sited in the wrong place on the roof.0 do you have a open pot or the right type of terminal? A few things to check before you start to call in the sweep again. best of luck.

Been heating up the flue before lighting recently and touch wood no further problems. So it was either the wind in the wrong direction or a cold spot in the flue. As it's a rented and we are moving out in March it's not really a big problem for us, if we were staying longer then I would have got the landlord to get someone to look at it. Will mention it to them anyway but no big deal for us.

Cheers for all the responses and advice :thumbup: