Hedge Laying

Gregsie

I learned hedge laying from a bloke a work with at m,y farm, its wicked to know how to do but is very hard work, but very rewarding. The only thing that might put you off is the weather and the ditches, the weather because the hedge is usualy laid between November and March so its cold and wet, and ditches because the hedge is often found by a ditch so you gotta get in shite up to your knees. Apart from that its wicked. :001_smile:

• 3 weeks later...

I'm charging £7 per metre plus materials (posts and bindings), which works out at around £10 per metre. There's a massive demand for it up here in the North York Moors National Park, and the Authority pay a grant of £3.60 per metre which helps out the customer.

I laid 400m last season and will probably complete around 500m this season, with 250m already in the bag for next year. It's good to know that I've got some work lined up for winter well in advance.

The best advice is to get some decent gloves, I'm using some that were designed for razor wire, and I still get thorned !

when i did a two day course a few years back, the instructor told us that if we were going to do a lot of hedging to get a horsehide mitt as very little penetrates it but you can still use a billhook (yorkshire of course:001_tongue:) with ease and this was from somebody who has done hedging since he left school in the forties.

where do you get those from? I use welding gauntlets, which are OK until they get wet, and don't stop all of them by any means.

Now then,

I got mine via a friend who's dad works for Ayton Engineering (http://www.ayton.com). The gloves are made by Cac Industrial (don't laugh) (http://www.cac-industrial.co.uk/default/product.asp?proNo=14)

Don't know how much they actually cost :scared1:

Before that I was using some old-fashioned leather mitts which were covered in big flat steel staples. Horrible things they are.