a nice cut for hung trees

dadio

This thread is ace :thumbup1:

Only skimmed through the last 10 pages (and for some reason can't see most of the videos) or so but seems like people are falling into one camp or the other.

Plenty of posts I agree with but too many pages back to quote them all :thumbup1:

I'm still of the opinion that there's a time and a place for cuts that aren't perhaps conventional and am unlikely to change that opinion just because some people don't like it.

I think location/situation/type of work play a big part too - on an arb job, where not only there's as likely to be more targets but the vehicle is likely to be closer and most importantly the job will have been priced to reflect the tree, you are likely to have a bit more time to deal with the tree.

Out in the woods where every stick counts, given the choice of either trekking back to the truck to cart a tirfor/lugall or go and drag the tractor over, I'm going to be looking at other options before that which could get the tree down on the floor quicker and if I felt that there wasn't a safe way to do it without mechanical assistance then I'd get mechanical assistance.

I'd like to think that nobody's going to make a cut if they weren't sure of what was going to happen.

This sums up most if my thoughts on the matter with out all the typing , well said chris

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there are so many variables in any tree cutting scenario.. too much to put into a book.. though the books may be a good starting point, we should not confine our work to their teachings.. Who makes the determination on what constitutes a safe and acceptable technique?

In one conversation with a rep from Stihl about the open face notch, she said she'd have to check and see if they could associate themselves with any other cut besides what was shown in their manuals.. pretty limited perspective.

What if a new cut was invented, that was far easier, safer, and more effective than the ones presently recommended.. what would it take for the new cut to become approved?

Do you genuinely believe you invented this or any other cut?

What's the big deal about inventing a cut?

Most are just variations of existing cuts.. slightly tweaked..

others are more outside the box...

I recently cut a large Norway Maple limb, 50' long, nearly horizontal, 26" diameter, in 23 seconds... with a stock 066 and 25" bar.. That was fun..

Do you genuinely believe you invented this or any other cut?

Before you let the pack out Skyhuck.

He didn't say that. He's proposing a what if...hypothetical scenario.

He's talking about breaking convention generally.

It must be what he feels is going on here....personally I don't care...I'm of the nuts in a vice school.:001_smile:

I recently cut a large Norway Maple limb, 50' long, nearly horizontal, 26" diameter, in 23 seconds... with a stock 066 and 25" bar.. That was fun..

Daniel, just get over yourself.

There is another world out there, called the real world.

It is Xmas after all and you did say;

we'll get back to the banter in 2013

Just because others don't feel the need to video themselves and post the videos, please don't kid yourself that there aren't people out doing all manner different cuts.

I think it would be impossible to perform any cut that not been done, the chain saw has been around for a good while now.

Down through human history most things have been developed or invented by different people, totally independent of each other.

Just because others don't feel the need to video themselves and post the videos, please don't kid yourself that there aren't people out doing all manner different cuts.

I think it would be impossible to perform any cut that not been done, the chain saw has been around for a good while now.

Down through human history most things have been developed or invented by different people, totally independent of each other.

And so should we share these "all manner of different cuts" on video, or keep them to ourselves, so as not to "confuse" the newbies?

ps... next time you're cutting any limb over 15", put a clock on the cut... that's one of the things I like about video, is the ability to get an accurate time on any particular task..