New chainsaw

Pltreesurgery

HI MATE a 372xp will not run a 3ft bar send it to steve or pete on here i will then jon :thumbup:

Agree with jon (mediplogs) on that one . 3ft is too long for a 372 . Mine is on a 24" which I would call max really . Steve is spudulike and Pete is petemate390xp . Both will do a good job of porting your saw if you want a bit more fizz and grunt .

HI MATE a 372xp will not run a 3ft bar send it to steve or pete on here i will then jon :thumbup:

Well I beg to differ as I have milled a number of trees with this configuration. The website which I bought the bar and chain from (not going to advertise as is not one on arbtalk) clearly states the model in there chain/bar table.

As I clearly stated it wont compete with an 880 so if doing commercial milling I would opt for the bigger machine. I only use this bar for occasional milling of beech,elm,sycamore,lime and horse chestnut. Cant justify getting an 880 or 3120 for this. It is quite slow but I take it easy and let it rest between runs. As I do this myself out in the woodland where the trees fall I have found it invaluable to extract timber that would be left to rot. So to me it is a versatile saw.

The 24" bar runs fine as well. I am thinking of getting an 18" bar for this saw but found that most 18" bars are rated for 60cc or less. If someone can recommend a bar I would appreciate it.

Sorry if I have been seen to be plugging "get a 3ft er or else" I'm not.

Husqvarna I think state 24" as max for the 372 but milling (in my eyes) is slightly different.

Hope that clears it up chaps. :001_smile:

You shouldn't run a 36" bar on a 372 - but that's not to say you can't!

If treated gently, rested down the log, sharp chain then you can... it's all rules of thumb really when it comes to saws and bar length - no rule is in stone. Well done on getting the results you want out of it.

One very general rule of thumb is to take the cc of the saw and to divide by 3 to get the useful length of bar so for instance 20" on a 60cc saw would be comfortable and smaller would be faster with less bogging in the cut.

3' sounds like 3120 territory to me but as Rob says, that doesn't stop you sticking a 3' bar on - are you using semi or full skip chain on it, one way round sapping the power of the saw?

Oregon 75RD Ripping chain.

OREGON brand 72RD, 73RD, 75RD chain saw chain

Pain in the neck to sharpen all those cutters so I am hoping to order a grinder off of Rob's site in the new year.

I wasn't able to source skip chains but am more than happy with the results with the above mentioned Oregon one.

I don't mind being frowned upon from time to time !!!!:001_cool:

Well I beg to differ as I have milled a number of trees with this configuration. The website which I bought the bar and chain from (not going to advertise as is not one on arbtalk) clearly states the model in there chain/bar table.

As I clearly stated it wont compete with an 880 so if doing commercial milling I would opt for the bigger machine. I only use this bar for occasional milling of beech,elm,sycamore,lime and horse chestnut. Cant justify getting an 880 or 3120 for this. It is quite slow but I take it easy and let it rest between runs. As I do this myself out in the woodland where the trees fall I have found it invaluable to extract timber that would be left to rot. So to me it is a versatile saw.

The 24" bar runs fine as well. I am thinking of getting an 18" bar for this saw but found that most 18" bars are rated for 60cc or less. If someone can recommend a bar I would appreciate it.

Sorry if I have been seen to be plugging "get a 3ft er or else" I'm not.

Husqvarna I think state 24" as max for the 372 but milling (in my eyes) is slightly different.

Hope that clears it up chaps. :001_smile:

HI MATE my 880 is like A AUDI R8 POWER ALL THE TIME NICE a 372xp is ok on a 20 ins max mate but thats just me thanks jon

hi guys need a quick suggestion on what my next saw should be for next year havn't got a clue what to but because i had a 365 last year and had some small but anoying problems with it :?

Pretty difficult question to answer - in that factors of budget, new/second hand or not, what you cutting all factors...

In fact you need to give a lot more info than that to get a few answers! :biggrin: