Show us your fencing!!

Matthew Storrs

Huh? An axe?

I have one of these which I sharpened and it comes out only for roots but it's still a bastard smashing a 6 inch root to pulp. 
However, aside from a recip saw it is my only recourse. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Garden-Outdoors/Draper-GB-HD-Expert-Ground/B00850ZPIY

Got the ground buster and bought the tamping attachment for it at same time [emoji106] good solid well built hefty piece of kit. Recommend it!
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, forestboy1978 said:

Huh? An axe?

I have one of these which I sharpened and it comes out only for roots but it's still a bastard smashing a 6 inch root to pulp. 

However, aside from a recip saw it is my only recourse. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Garden-Outdoors/Draper-GB-HD-Expert-Ground/B00850ZPIY

Yeah nice axe supposed to be really good weight and leverage wise

the links are just going to viglink there not loading up?  

Id say the clay spade is the best idea tbh 

Jack 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, forestboy1978 said:

Less

Got a pedestrian stump grinder that'll get most places that one will. Neither will go much further than 200mm depth I would imagine so useless for those moments  you find a 6 inch root 1 1/2ft down a hole.

What I want in an ideal world is a concrete chainsaw ?

That is the thing though those grinders that run off a chainsaw have an advantage over 4 stroke in that the 2 stroke will be lubricated working at any angle, so could be used vertically if the hole is wide enough, theyre quite long machines. Whats the idea with the concrete chainsaw? Thought they were for cutting openings?

That is the thing though those grinders that run off a chainsaw have an advantage over 4 stroke in that the 2 stroke will be lubricated working at any angle, so could be used vertically if the hole is wide enough, theyre quite long machines. Whats the idea with the concrete chainsaw? Thought they were for cutting openings?

More torquier than a chainsaw but run the tungsten designed chains, so will chew through majority of stuff (within reason material wise)

But they dont have very long bars, and would they blunt on flint etc? If you poked it down a post hole to sever a root? 

Wouldnt like to say to be honest, not something i’ve ever done personally, be one of those “you’ll av to try to see” scenarios.
I’ve used them in concrete/stone/brick etc (tarmac isnt a good option with one) and i really rate them. It would sever a root no bother i net, but flint i’m not sure? Can be chuffing hard!

Mmm. I have a jcb beaver. Never lets me down. Put in 7 spurs yesterday. The trick is to dig down the front of the exisitng concete ball, then i crack the concete off from the front of the post. It usually breaks off in one lump.
The beaver is perhals overkill, Yes its a lump to carry around, but no worse than a gennie and an elec breaker, plus mine works in the rain.

Ive got one they’re a really hand bit of kit, also runs my small splitter

6 hours ago, forestboy1978 said:

Less

Got a pedestrian stump grinder that'll get most places that one will. Neither will go much further than 200mm depth I would imagine so useless for those moments  you find a 6 inch root 1 1/2ft down a hole.

What I want in an ideal world is a concrete chainsaw ?

thinking about it I see your point - even that chainsaw grinder wouldn't fit down a post hole that deep, a six inch root at 18" below must surely mean some fencers opt for a bodge and chance setting the post a bit shallow on that one.

7 hours ago, tree-fancier123 said:

thinking about it I see your point - even that chainsaw grinder wouldn't fit down a post hole that deep, a six inch root at 18" below must surely mean some fencers opt for a bodge and chance setting the post a bit shallow on that one.

If given no option yeah and make the hole wider and put in a ton of concrete to compensate. 

But if the fence is 6 1/2ft and root is say at 14 inches and ground is soft then it's either move the hole or hit the root until it disintegrates. 

• Thanks 1