Show us your fencing!!

Matthew Storrs

My first (proper) gate :)

I've only done a slat before now but needed better access to this field and had a go. Still needs a bit of landscaping with the digger to ensure nothing gets under the left edge and to open it out a bit.

Ground was a nightmare - its full of small to medium flat stones. Used a tractor mounted auger but it would just spin on the stones, so eventually it was crowbar, auger, hand to get the hole deep enough. What would other people have done?

IMG_6379.jpg

• Like 2

I always think it better to knock gate posts in, may need a rock spike for hard going.

We don't use gate post to strain fencing wire, instead fitting another straining post next to the gate post. The gate post will at some time get knocked by a tractor or piece of machinery, in doing so the fence loses all its tension

• Like 6

11 hours ago, Puffster said:

My first (proper) gate :)

so eventually it was crowbar, auger, hand to get the hole deep enough. What would other people have done?

Probably the same as you, in the absence of the right kit you just have to tough it out. looks well.

Bob

Edited by aspenarb

• 2 weeks later...

Looks well for a 1st time gate esp on sloping ground

Depending on the size of chapper, but sometimes in some ground conditions u are almost as quick digging them in, esp if u have a sharp pinch and shuvholers.

I tend to be on a 200kg job he now and it really does struggle with biggr strainers and harder ground esp so a few weeks ago in the drier weather.

Not wanting to be critical,and photos can make things look strange too.

But personally i would probably have hung the gate on the face of the post, as looks like rises uphill behind it so gate will only swing 1 way anyway which would probably let it swing flush against the fence too.

Also means tractors wont catch gate crooks too.

Also did u se long posts for the gate? Strainers look quite high out of the ground in compaision to gate althou i realise thats to catch the fence beside it as both new/old strainers are same hieght, i bet strainers look around 41/2ft or even 5ft out of ground.

It should be fine but also may go slack in time as lot of leverage, might need a pack now and again

Are many fencers still using drive in bottom crooks nowadays??? Most in this area have went onto bolt throu for both nowadays, with most using the square flange? 1's for the bottom crook.

i do think it is a better job

• 2 years later...
6 hours ago, woody paul said:

Not me, came across it this morning if a so called professional then I am shocked. 

Ever were they couldn't get panels in do to trees  knocked edge of post off to get it in. 

DSC_0212.JPG

obviously couldn't lift the panels high enough to slot them in because of overhanging branches, so just broke off the sides of the concrete posts, like you do, cowboys

On 10/08/2021 at 13:49, woody paul said:

Not me, came across it this morning if a so called professional then I am shocked. 

Ever were they couldn't get panels in do to trees  knocked edge of post off to get it in. 

DSC_0212.JPG

Idiots. There are ways of getting them in without doing that. What stops it coming  back out again I wonder?