Show us your fencing!!

Matthew Storrs

4 hours ago, Martin du Preez said:

Thats a fair weight, is it a protech one? what weight would you suggest one could get away with on  2.7 tonner? mainly for knocking in square post and rail

Yes, both of ours are protech. We put in a lot of 12inch oak posts is why we went so heavy. I'm not sure about smaller ones, it's just a trade of between performance and reach with any size though. 

10 minutes ago, dig-dug-dan said:

I have the p30 contractor on my kubota tractor. Was looking at adapting it to fit my avant but worried about too much oil flow.

How do you get on if you are on your own with a digger mount getting the posts level. With mine you stand by the machine and operate the controls so its a piece of cake

I hang a plumb line off each stake, basically a small weight hanging off a string- reckon I get them just as straight as my conventional contractor model on tractor and spirit level I used to have . I just have a wire at ground level- stab all the stakes in then go along- hang the plumb line on, knock it in, get out and move the line to the next post whilst checking to make sure the post you’ve just done is straight. Sounds a faff but it’s only out the cab once per stake and you get into a rhythm.

Few pics, all done on my own with digger and knocker.

3C839C42-350F-49BF-849A-4C8388F31CD3.jpeg

26E9C468-38A7-45CA-B98A-20D51F0A15B9.jpeg

27 minutes ago, Matthew Storrs said:

I hang a plumb line off each stake, basically a small weight hanging off a string- reckon I get them just as straight as my conventional contractor model on tractor and spirit level I used to have . I just have a wire at ground level- stab all the stakes in then go along- hang the plumb line on, knock it in, get out and move the line to the next post whilst checking to make sure the post you’ve just done is straight. Sounds a faff but it’s only out the cab once per stake and you get into a rhythm.

Few pics, all done on my own with digger and knocker.

3C839C42-350F-49BF-849A-4C8388F31CD3.jpeg

26E9C468-38A7-45CA-B98A-20D51F0A15B9.jpeg

Seems to work, that looks pretty straight And upright to me!

My p30 you can knock them down to a stop gauge so they are all in the same depth, i presume the plimb line does the same thing, once it touches the ground, stop!

4 minutes ago, dig-dug-dan said:

Seems to work, that looks pretty straight And upright to me!

My p30 you can knock them down to a stop gauge so they are all in the same depth, i presume the plimb line does the same thing, once it touches the ground, stop!

Could do that, or hang a chain from the knocker- sometime I use a bit of tree spray paint- once all the posts are stabbed in wall along with a measure and put a mark on each post- takes a minute or 3 for hundred meters so not the end of the world.

I do bottom wire in strained, chalk the depth on each post as you pace them out and stab in, chain hanging off the headstock as guide for plumb if I’m on my own, easier if someone else is with you doing that and double checking with a level. I use mine on digger and tractor and think digger is quicker alone or two man.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LeeGray said:

I do bottom wire in strained, chalk the depth on each post as you pace them out and stab in, chain hanging off the headstock as guide for plumb if I’m on my own, easier if someone else is with you doing that and double checking with a level. I use mine on digger and tractor and think digger is quicker alone or two man.

How would bottom wire strained in work on ground with undulations?

29 minutes ago, dig-dug-dan said:

How would bottom wire strained in work on ground with undulations?

If it’s a big rise or fall it’ll be another strainer or just knock a post and staple in to run the wire if it’s not big doesn’t make a difference to line

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/02/2019 at 00:44, tree-fancier123 said:

good info - I like the benefit of being able to finish in a downpour if needs be. How do you get on in neat gardens hiding or losing the spoil? Do you try to ram some back in once the repair spur is fitted before concreting or just luz it under a bush when no one's looking?

This is what I'm thinking of buying https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Makita-HM1812-AVT-Demolition-Breaker-240v/142379161138?epid=1645517942&hash=item2126759632:g:rKgAAOSwZGJcXCXt:rk:9:pf:0

With a trolley. 

Titan produces 45 joules of energy 15kg approx

Beaver et all approx 63 joules @ 30kg approx

That bad boy will produce 73 joules @ 31.3kg

I've never had a problem working with electric in the rain in all but heavy down pores or persistent rain which I don't work in any way. Screw that. Pointless unless it's 30 mins to finish a job and in which case I just cover myself and everything with a tarpaulin and carry on.  Might get the 110v but like being able to hook up to customers electric without carting an inverter about.