Show us your fencing!!

Matthew Storrs

2 hours ago, dig-dug-dan said:

Mmm. I have a jcb beaver. Never lets me down. Put in 7 spurs yesterday. The trick is to dig down the front of the exisitng concete ball, then i crack the concete off from the front of the post. It usually breaks off in one lump.

The beaver is perhals overkill, Yes its a lump to carry around, but no worse than a gennie and an elec breaker, plus mine works in the rain.

good info - I like the benefit of being able to finish in a downpour if needs be. How do you get on in neat gardens hiding or losing the spoil? Do you try to ram some back in once the repair spur is fitted before concreting or just luz it under a bush when no one's looking?

6 hours ago, tree-fancier123 said:

good info - I like the benefit of being able to finish in a downpour if needs be. How do you get on in neat gardens hiding or losing the spoil? Do you try to ram some back in once the repair spur is fitted before concreting or just luz it under a bush when no one's looking?

Both! . Sometimes its scattered along the border. Any concrete i break off i yake away and recycle. Worst case scenario, i bag up the stuff i cannot lose and it rinds it way into the next skip

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, tree-fancier123 said:

although the dear breakers can be lighter, what I was getting at is can you pay a lot more for a much more powerful electric breaker that digs it out quicker? Possibly ending up with an even heavier machine than the Titan. I agree the Titan is such good value that in terms of profit per £ spent it seems a no brainer.

Actually looking at the specs of the biggest Bosch it is rated at 60J impact energy, compared to the Titan  at 45J, so maybe it wouldn't justify the cost, not like twice as powerful. Also weighs 29 and a bit kg, bit of lump.

Edit the Makita is even more powerful with 72.8Joules impact energy (nearly twice the power of a Titan).

If I get a big fencing job I may look to hire a Makita and a JCB beaver to compare - if I can even drag them out the van that is

A Beaver or some such is a handy tool to have sure. But Dan has a yard. He doesn't carry it around all the time, he gets it as he needs it. I carry 95% of my tools around with me, barring extra wheel barrows, cement mixer and mitre saw and table which come out as and when. 

I can't fit a big tool in my van and a beaver is over kill for 80+% of jobs for me. 

Regarding other breakers. 6-8x the price for maybe 50% extra power along with 50% extra weight just doesn't compute. Every now and then I come along work which requires a demolition hammer and genny. I hire it. 

Edited by forestboy1978
  • Thanks 2

If it’s a zero swinger then it’ll be less stable though.

ideally you’d use it sideways over the tracks so it’s quick to go from post to post using blade to level machine- on very steep ground you’d have to have the blade down in front of you. Recently I had it on very steep ground that they’d had flailed- it was far too steep for a tractor but by having the knocker extended full reach up hill I was able to manoeuvre about and get to all of the posts. A heavy handed /jerky operator would have had the machine on its side pretty quickly because you have to lift the knocker on to the post if you start to tilt its too late to stop yourself like you’d do with a bucket.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Matthew Storrs said:

ideally you’d use it sideways over the tracks so it’s quick to go from post to post using blade to level machine- on very steep ground you’d have to have the blade down in front of you. Recently I had it on very steep ground that they’d had flailed- it was far too steep for a tractor but by having the knocker extended full reach up hill I was able to manoeuvre about and get to all of the posts. A heavy handed /jerky operator would have had the machine on its side pretty quickly because you have to lift the knocker on to the post if you start to tilt its too late to stop yourself like you’d do with a bucket.

Definitely second the zero tail being less stable, my knocker is very dubious on new zero tail compared to old conventional machine despite weight chart looking almost identical. Knockers about 300kg though so big for machine too.

2 hours ago, Matthew Storrs said:

I have the p30 contractor on my kubota tractor. Was looking at adapting it to fit my avant but worried about too much oil flow.

How do you get on if you are on your own with a digger mount getting the posts level. With mine you stand by the machine and operate the controls so its a piece of cake