Show us your fencing!!

Matthew Storrs

Mate of mine does a lot if fencing jobs, he swears by em and runs em off a generator with no issues. Lidl (parkside branded) usually £99 and come with a few attatchments.
Aldi (workzone branded) also usually around £99 with a few attachments.
A lot of my builder/roofer mates buy their combi drill and impact driver sets at £99 with 3yr guarantee, if they drop em off a roof or damage em doing other jobs etc theyre not arsed, just price em in to job. If they go legit faulty then they go bk, and if they last, its a bonus [emoji106] i have aldi drill/impacter at work cos every man and his dog strays away with em but they’ve lasted!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, eggsarascal said:

Take my word for it Ratty, I've spent many hours on breakers and pointed chisels are the work of the devil, not that they don't have there place, just not in concrete below ground level.

I got a pointed chisel so badly stuck we had to jack it out with ball of concrete attached and break the concrete from the side with another breaker. 

4 minutes ago, forestboy1978 said:

I got a pointed chisel so badly stuck we had to jack it out with ball of concrete attached and break the concrete from the side with another breaker. 

Yep, if you bury one at ground level you can usually break it free, bury one a foot or two down it's a proper ball ache.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, forestboy1978 said:

I go through around 1.5 titan breakers per year. You can pay £700 for a breaker that is half the weight but it'll also be a little less powerful than the titan. I prefer a flat chisel and I have a 7ft thick steel bar that weighs near 20kg that I jab into the cracks and wrench concrete out. 

I never use a pointed chisel for reason stated above.

Depth of spur should be 1/3 that of what is above ground. I.e 2ft for a 6ft fence. 

Im surprised the amount of fencing you do, but if a thousand pound machine doesnt pay back with increased productivity, then less attractive. On a nerdy note, the energy ratings impact i seem to remember the titan is quite high. The big Bosch looks good. I would like to try top of the range Bosch and Hilti, just to see if its quicker. I also prefer flat chisel. Wonder if a slightly wider one 600mm long like a giant bolster available. The point ones seem too slow sliding off lumps in the hole. 

It does seem mad to spend 12 times a titan on just one, but if its like on steroids....

1 hour ago, tree-fancier123 said:

Im surprised the amount of fencing you do, but if a thousand pound machine doesnt pay back with increased productivity, then less attractive. On a nerdy note, the energy ratings impact i seem to remember the titan is quite high. The big Bosch looks good. I would like to try top of the range Bosch and Hilti, just to see if its quicker. I also prefer flat chisel. Wonder if a slightly wider one 600mm long like a giant bolster available. The point ones seem too slow sliding off lumps in the hole. 

It does seem mad to spend 12 times a titan on just one, but if its like on steroids....

Just figured I'm paying for lightness and nowt else. I can afford to break 1 to 2 £150 breakers per year. Can't afford breaking a £1K one. 

• Like 1

Mmm. I have a jcb beaver. Never lets me down. Put in 7 spurs yesterday. The trick is to dig down the front of the exisitng concete ball, then i crack the concete off from the front of the post. It usually breaks off in one lump.

The beaver is perhals overkill, Yes its a lump to carry around, but no worse than a gennie and an elec breaker, plus mine works in the rain.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, forestboy1978 said:

Just figured I'm paying for lightness and nowt else

although the dear breakers can be lighter, what I was getting at is can you pay a lot more for a much more powerful electric breaker that digs it out quicker? Possibly ending up with an even heavier machine than the Titan. I agree the Titan is such good value that in terms of profit per £ spent it seems a no brainer.

Actually looking at the specs of the biggest Bosch it is rated at 60J impact energy, compared to the Titan  at 45J, so maybe it wouldn't justify the cost, not like twice as powerful. Also weighs 29 and a bit kg, bit of lump.

Edit the Makita is even more powerful with 72.8Joules impact energy (nearly twice the power of a Titan).

If I get a big fencing job I may look to hire a Makita and a JCB beaver to compare - if I can even drag them out the van that is

Edited by tree-fancier123