Working holiday Australia

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what i'v read on here, gear is a bit more expensive over there. And the price of living in general is gradually getting higher. But you could say that about most countries.

I think as long as your kits clean and not absolutely mingin they would be alright at customs. Originally i was thinking of taking my complete kit bag but as i plan on moving around a fair bit and staying in hostels i dont think its practicle. Its heavy and i'd be worrying about stuff getting knicked.

My mate was telling me about some fire lookout trees he climbed in western australia. 70 metre free climb.

wikipedia.org/wiki/Gloucester_Tree

Well worth a visit!

Hey rob.

Yes I'm in Melbourne working for a fantastic company,you will be shocked at the type of work we do here.its an amazing place with amazing people. I only arrived here in September and bought my kit new when I sent it.as it was still in packaging obv I had no problem with immigration so I can't help their I'm afraid.still took 3 friggin months to get here though.there is defiantly work for a second climber but just be honest and don't big yourself up to be something your not.haven't been here long but seen 2 people do this and when sent up trees to do work,they look like tw@t$. Like I said if your interested ill put you in touch with my boss,I've been real lucky that he sponsored me to come out here so I'm at the start of a long and wonderful journey.

Stay safe

Jake:thumbup1:

Hello mate,

I done exactly this with my girlfriend and it was great. I went to Melbourne to start with for 4 months and then drove to Brisbane for 2 months and came back (wish I hadn't)

Basically when you get there look up citywide Melbourne they have tree jobs n the city, also Aardvark tree service always employ and I worked there myself, Taylor's tree service is a good company and also red backs tree service. When you get there just ring them up and tell them your an experienced uk climber and you will have a job the next day. You should be expecting $58,000 a year. Which is good money.

Stay in a holiday park. Discovery holiday park in Chelsea is good and it's about $300 a week plus bills (which is cheap)

So when you first get there, rent a car. It's important because everything is a million miles away, then go to your local Medicare centre and sign up to Medicare (there NHS)

Once you done all this your pretty much sorted.

Also we preffered Brisbane to Melbourne to be honest. Much warmer.

Just curious , did your girlfriend find work out there and if yes , what doing ?

Thanks

I can understand people wanting to take there own gear. You spent a lot of money on it, looked after and cared for it, you know the ins and outs of it, and learned to trust it...

But why would you want to take your mrs as well? :001_smile::001_tongue::001_smile:

Well, I don't think the Aussie arbs would enjoy a cuddle as much as the mrs!

A question that came up today. What about insurance? I would have travel insurance but it doesn't cover manual labour. But does cover waitressing (have to get my pinny out!) and other general work. Does the employers insurance cover me when I'm working? I'd be signing up to Medicare while there too.

Hello mate,

I done exactly this with my girlfriend and it was great. I went to Melbourne to start with for 4 months and then drove to Brisbane for 2 months and came back (wish I hadn't)

Basically when you get there look up citywide Melbourne they have tree jobs n the city, also Aardvark tree service always employ and I worked there myself, Taylor's tree service is a good company and also red backs tree service. When you get there just ring them up and tell them your an experienced uk climber and you will have a job the next day. You should be expecting $58,000 a year. Which is good money.

Stay in a holiday park. Discovery holiday park in Chelsea is good and it's about $300 a week plus bills (which is cheap)

So when you first get there, rent a car. It's important because everything is a million miles away, then go to your local Medicare centre and sign up to Medicare (there NHS)

Once you done all this your pretty much sorted.

Also we preffered Brisbane to Melbourne to be honest. Much warmer.

All of the above but Sidney, and i did it on a holiday visa, try active tree services , there are lots of opportunities if you are a good climber and a hard worker. Have fun i did.