Working holiday Australia

I'm planning to take a working holiday to Australia next September. Exact location not sure but aiming around Melbourne as i know people there. I've just got a couple of questions

What's the best way to get work out there? I've seen positions advertised here but most require heavy truck licenses.

How are job prospects? Is there plenty out there?

The working visa requires I can only work for an employer for a max of 6 months. Does this put potential employers off?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm planning to take a working holiday to Australia next September. Exact location not sure but aiming around Melbourne as i know people there. I've just got a couple of questions

What's the best way to get work out there? I've seen positions advertised here but most require heavy truck licenses.

How are job prospects? Is there plenty out there?

The working visa requires I can only work for an employer for a max of 6 months. Does this put potential employers off?

Hello mate,

I done exactly this with my girlfriend and it was great. I went to Melbourne to start with for 4 months and then drove to Brisbane for 2 months and came back (wish I hadn't)

Basically when you get there look up citywide Melbourne they have tree jobs n the city, also Aardvark tree service always employ and I worked there myself, Taylor's tree service is a good company and also red backs tree service. When you get there just ring them up and tell them your an experienced uk climber and you will have a job the next day. You should be expecting $58,000 a year. Which is good money.

Stay in a holiday park. Discovery holiday park in Chelsea is good and it's about $300 a week plus bills (which is cheap)

So when you first get there, rent a car. It's important because everything is a million miles away, then go to your local Medicare centre and sign up to Medicare (there NHS)

Once you done all this your pretty much sorted.

Also we preffered Brisbane to Melbourne to be honest. Much warmer.

Hey Rob. I'v been in living and working in Sydney on the northern beaches for the last 8 months and all i can say dude is do it. I love it out here, i was working for a smaller tree firm to start with now had a better offer and sponsership. There is loads of work out here and they want Uk climbers, you will have no probs picking work up when you get here.The working for one employer for 6 months is nothing to worry about, things can be pretty casual out here. If you were coming in january i could sort out a forman/climber position but that would be sydney. Any questions just give me shout. Easy now

Hey rob

Give me a shout when you want to come out and I should be able to hook you up with work befor you arrive. City wide only do council parks and power line clearance and aardvark recently went bust.workand pay is plentiful and living is great.

Jake:thumbup1:

That's great. Are you in Melbourne?

I'm open minded for work. Is there much for a 2nd climber level? I plan to get as much in before then to really speed up.

Really looking forward to going. Found some good deals on flights that's why it's September plus the girlfriend has to finish uni and get some cash together.

Can't wait! :thumbup:

This is good reading for me!

Im off on the 27th of December. Flying into perth, haven't got any solid plans but taking my ppe and some basic gear (hitchclimer, rope wrench, maybe harness and lanyard). Going to have a couple of weeks relaxing and exploring then go and look for some work.

If i was you I'd get it booked up. Its going to be cheaper and it will give you something to look forward and save for. I'v ummed and arred about it for a couple of years but thought sod it, and went and booked a flight last week. Flights are pretty dear this time of year i can tell you!

Im off on the 27th of December. Flying into perth, haven't got any solid plans but taking my ppe and some basic gear (hitchclimer, rope wrench, maybe harness and lanyard). Going to have a couple of weeks relaxing and exploring then go and look for some work.

If i was you I'd get it booked up. Its going to be cheaper and it will give you something to look forward and save for. I'v ummed and arred about it for a couple of years but thought sod it, and went and booked a flight last week. Flights are pretty dear this time of year i can tell you!

fair play man, takes some bollocks to go over with no set plans. going abroad was the best decision I ever made !

i have a friend in perth who i may end up visiting, cheapest flights we could get were september time and its an ideal time, just after winter!

ive wanted to go for a while, but not had the time or resources to be able to.

another question that came to me today, what about kit, take my own? buy some over there? what happens with border control for things like wood particles and stuff like that? i am aware they are touchy with things like saws but what about climbing gear?