Tried out a zigzag today.

Mark_Skyland

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it doesnt self tend then they wont sell any, why would anyone pay for it instead of a lock jack or spiderjack which both self tend.

It would be a pointless device if it didnt self tend but I would imagine that the type of rope used is critical. Once we have all figured out which rope(s) work well with it then I'm sure it will be fine.

Hmm three of us tried it out but it didnt want to self tend even with the 11mm rope.

Now it was only on a climbing wall so prob only about 8-10 feet of rope below the zigzag.

The rope doesnt run freely through like a spiderjack or well honed hitch.

This was just your standard bit of hand over hand climbing ie not purposely positioning/adjusting the zigzag and guiding the rope through.

As Rupe says though a bit more trialing with different ropes may be in order.

The guy from Lyon equipment (petzl importers) who came down to demo the zigzag is a decent bloke so i will try and arrange another demo out in the field, but i doubt it will be this side of christmas though.

Although tbh it wouldnt matter to me that much as i still prefer my HC/VT over a prussik and i have never had the patience to get it to self tend properly.:blushing:

Hitches don't really self tend unless you have a 'sporty' vt with 30ft of rope below. And the knack with the spiderjack is a shorter bridge and feeding it through.

one of the suppliers should really get in contact with petzl to hand out a few for proper trials from real people (like arbtalkers) so people get an idea of what they are buying before forking out £180.

Hitches don't really self tend unless you have a 'sporty' vt with 30ft of rope below. And the knack with the spiderjack is a shorter bridge and feeding it through.

one of the suppliers should really get in contact with petzl to hand out a few for proper trials from real people (like arbtalkers) so people get an idea of what they are buying before forking out £180.

I did try my best to do just that.:001_smile:

But, with only 3 of them in the UK there was absolutely no chance!:laugh1:

There are plenty of people pre ordering them already so I guess it wont be very long before we see plenty of reviews here on AT.:thumbup1:

Me and Barry are climbers with around 18 years experience and are still involved with the cutting side so we will definitely be using one out in the field and giving it a right good hammering.:thumbup: