Beginners climbing guide, hints, tips and general climbing techniques

Adam Bourne

• 1 year later...

On 11/12/2012 at 16:27, Adam Bourne said:

Here we go mate, a normal Blakes hitch with an added pulley for better slack tending, ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355243018.492314.jpg.8c80da2df4e697a410889df86b5a2b80.jpg.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355243058.626013.jpg.b1fedc4c449627112824f870ec623c51.jpg.

Then this is for picture purpose only as using a bina on your friction saver is not very practical neither safe but just to illustrate how a pulley can be added and take out at least 50% of the friction in your system. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355243195.573242.jpg.97ab047c606e41bd516d362bdf95e681.jpg.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355243232.486471.jpg.f60526fb5c0b1151617a284cd57df4a0.jpg

I have a bunch of that Sirius cord, I was going to tie one of those up to a dmm ring and a boa carabiner for an srt tip. Is it not recommended ?! Saw it on an old climbing arborist video (4 years old) and thought, I'll make one of them.

• 10 months later...

Morning All!

Just starting out in this industry after a career change. I have my Tree climbing and Aerial Rescue booked for next month and I’m buying a few bits of kit to get me started. I’m now after a pair of climbing spurs, now I don’t want a cheap set that I’m going to have to replace in a years time but I also don’t want to spend £450 on a set. Does anyone have any recommendations for me?

Thanks in advance,

Ash

36 minutes ago, Ashleygore4 said:

Morning All!

Just starting out in this industry after a career change. I have my Tree climbing and Aerial Rescue booked for next month and I’m buying a few bits of kit to get me started. I’m now after a pair of climbing spurs, now I don’t want a cheap set that I’m going to have to replace in a years time but I also don’t want to spend £450 on a set. Does anyone have any recommendations for me?

Thanks in advance,

Ash

Try and pick up a pair of used Treehogs for real cheap, with a simple modification they can be made much better. There's a thread about it on here

• Like 2

I'm tall and I hated the Treehogs, but I get on just fine with Stein X2 which a lot of ordinary sized folk hate.

I'd maybe recommend waiting till you've done the course and try as many different pairs as you can, whether you like velcro or leather straps is another personal choice which could have you wasting money.

If you're desperate to spend, I'd think hard about some steel Buckinghams, you'll always be able to get spares.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi all 

I’m newish to climbing bit I’m looking for a bit of advise please. I’m after buying a dmm mini swivel (only after seeing the recall on these but not sure if mine is affected) I’m looking to add this to my bridge, but I am now thinking that I can’t use this as my life support. I’m a little confused now would anyone be able to guide me a little 

thanks