Beginners climbing guide, hints, tips and general climbing techniques

Adam Bourne

• 2 weeks later...

On ‎10‎/‎12‎/‎2012 at 20:44, RobArb said:

what do you mean by arms pulled out?

Are your arms knackered? have you tried one of the more advance hitch systems?

Hitch climber, spiderjack etc etc?

I would recommend the hitch climber simply because it seems to be becoming an industry staple these days. And why not?! straightforward, reliable, versatile and the whole system LOLER'able if you use a hitch cord with eyes!

• 3 months later...

Evening all, how do?

I'm in the middle of a career change after 17 years in kitchens. Did an intensive course last November and came away with my CS30/31, CS38, and CS39, plus tickets for stump grinder and wood chipper, but since that I've been a full-time dad. I've only ever had two days of practical work experience. Now, in two days time I've got a trial day with a local tree care company. I'll be felling a few trees for him and showing a brief climb, among other things.

Quick question... if you had someone as green as me show up on site for a trial, what stupid mistakes could I make that would, at best, make me a laughing stock, or at worst, make you throw me off site straight away?

Cheers for any advice dudes.

• Like 1

Be honest about your level of experience,which will be obvious when your climbing and felling.

Take it slow,id rather have a slow/safe employee than a quick/dangerous one.

Concentrate on what your doing,dont walk under the tree without making contact with climber/head groundie.

Given that your very new with the tickets but no experience id say the expectations will be low,all they will be lookin for is work ethic and how keen you are.

Oh and dont snap the chainbrake on and off all the time,wait till saw is at low revs before engaging brake.

Just be senseable.

Good luck

• Like 2

Know that if they let you climb, the trees will not be the same nice spreading trees that you climbed on the course. They will be partially dead, covered in ivy six inches thick, with limbs that just out at 45 degree angles so you can't limbwalk on them. Bring webbing loops for footholds, several (2) lanyards, one 5m rope and one 3m wire core. And outfit both your lanyards with micopullys and eye-to-eye hitches (distel) will save a load on energy on your arms. Extra carabiners, a throwbag, attached to a small carabiner for advancing your line and lanyards, a mini-reach telescopic hook, and so on. 

22 minutes ago, Haironyourchest said:

Know that if they let you climb, the trees will not be the same nice spreading trees that you climbed on the course. They will be partially dead, covered in ivy six inches thick, with limbs that just out at 45 degree angles so you can't limbwalk on them. Bring webbing loops for footholds, several (2) lanyards, one 5m rope and one 3m wire core. And outfit both your lanyards with micopullys and eye-to-eye hitches (distel) will save a load on energy on your arms. Extra carabiners, a throwbag, attached to a small carabiner for advancing your line and lanyards, a mini-reach telescopic hook, and so on. 

I wouldnt expect a new climber to bring any climbing kit,just ppe.

Different if he was a subby but he aint,plus the term all the gear and no idea springs to mind.

• Like 3