Beginners climbing guide, hints, tips and general climbing techniques

Adam Bourne

Would using a hitch climber make it easier for my arm?

Yes , used with a hitch like a vt on a double rope you will climb pulling the rope down arm over arm say 4-5 times locking off with one arm and pull the slack through with the other until you get high enough for the weight of the rope to pull it self through by itself.

Or climb srt ... possibilities are endless with a hitch climber! unless you do lots of one handing in which case your still leaving your self open to tennis elbow and hand tendon damage.

• 2 weeks later...

I find myself using footlocking a lot in drt (just like insrt). Helps with the slack tending "problem", avoiding the use of O-rig, for instance, which have a lot of downsides most of the cases.

Or just use foot ascenders, sometimes looks like foot ascenders are restricted to srt use :S

I know drt is slower because of the 1/2 ratio (distance traveled / ropepull) but is also easier. At the end also depends on the size of the tree and the time you have.

Is there any problem with footlocking or footascenders in drt? looks like im doing something wrong. lol

I find myself using footlocking a lot in drt (just like insrt). Helps with the slack tending "problem", avoiding the use of O-rig, for instance, which have a lot of downsides most of the cases.

Or just use foot ascenders, sometimes looks like foot ascenders are restricted to srt use :S

I know drt is slower because of the 1/2 ratio (distance traveled / ropepull) but is also easier. At the end also depends on the size of the tree and the time you have.

Is there any problem with footlocking or footascenders in drt? looks like im doing something wrong. lol

Why do you say avoid the O rig

Why do you say avoid the O rig

i found it of little benefit, sure it's kind of slick the reality is your better off trying to not use it as it will only encourage you to use you arms to haul yourself around if that makes sense.

You can use a haas and pantin combo drt ,it would be my choice if I had to make a long ascent drt with nothing to body thrust off.

I think anyone not using a Pantin and HAAS is mad. Why would you not reduce physical stress.

If you're set on sticking with Ddrt system then consider an O-rig as well.

Sorry, I didn't explain well maybee. When I say avoid o-rig I mean those situations where it will have some drawbacks. Don't get me wrong, I find the o-rig very useful in some situations but it have some disadvantages like making unable to attach a second climb system/long lanyard in the midhole of the hitchclimber. I was doing this some months ago and it just "drags" the friction hitch side of the drt system, very awkward and unpractical.

(Just my opinion tho! I'm still a newbie trying new things)