Beginners climbing guide, hints, tips and general climbing techniques

Adam Bourne

• 2 months later...

Hello all,

I'm from Portugal and I found this forum while searching for more info. Because is probably the closest forum I can get from me and I already read a lot of topics and found good opinions. I decided to regist myself.

Is very hard to find specific tree-climb gear here in Portugal.

I climbed last year with a friend's rope (beal industrie I think) and now I'm looking to purchase a yale xtc or a edelrid xp but I don't know what should I take and i dont understand why a 24 strand 11mm rope is half the price, even if it is treeclimb specific also. For instance, why a petzl axis 11mm is not good for DRT? Why some caving 11mm ropes exposed to rocks and moist zones are inferior to a treeclimb one?

What should be the rope life/duration considering climbing for +- 1 month every year? Should I use a friction saver with these ropes every time? does it make the rope last longer? I mainly work on oaks but also some pine trees. I kinda feel that the tight bend of the rope in the rings is bad for the rope, silly me maybe.

I'm used to double rope technique, last year I started with blakes closed system and then after tried for a while prusik, swabish, VT, klemish and distel I stick with the distel because it worked the best and seem the most reliable and safe for me. DRT seems very simple, reliable and user friendly for me, I'm a small guy and usually don't have to climb more than 10-15m (33-49feet). SO i don't even think about getting gear for a srt setup.

I'm looking to purchase a hitch climber DMM and I would like to ask if it is really recommended to use the DMM oval carabiner with it or if any symmetric carabiner is ok. Like the petzl ok triak should be fine even if it is not perfectly oval? (another silly question)

Edit: i forgot to ask if someone knows the product TU421 from Treeup brand, its a pulley just like the DMM HC, but I found it cheaper, or should I go safer and buy a DMM?

Sorry for very long post but I read alot, I saw tons of videos and still have some questions. One pdf I liked a lot and saved as reference, you all probably know it but if not: http://www.forestry.gov.uk/pdf/FCRR-JD-0402.pdf/$file/FCRR-JD-0402.pdf

Thank you in advance if any can help me with my silly questions.

Edited by Arrozdoce

• 2 months later...

Im finding when thrusting up a tree im finding my right arm is really hurting like putting lots of pressure on my inside elbow. Would having to much friction and using a prussik put more pressure on youre arm if that makes sense. If so whats the best device that takes the hard work out of thrusting up a tree lol

Im finding when thrusting up a tree im finding my right arm is really hurting like putting lots of pressure on my inside elbow. Would having to much friction and using a prussik put more pressure on youre arm if that makes sense. If so whats the best device that takes the hard work out of thrusting up a tree lol

Technique and time, problem is in time you could end up with muscular skeletal issues etc.

Always a tough one, I developed horrific tennis elbow (or golfers forget which one) I'd wake up in the night with it.

Realising this I focused hard on trying to avoid using that arm and avoid using my arms in general.

The only advice I can give is try to avoid using your arms to haul, use your legs as much as possible even if to split the load 50/50.

You can try pulleys, but reducing friction will increase the load you haul and hold, a pulley saver is essential in the long run though if you stick to DdRT.

Buy a foot ascendor this will help but do not rely on it, thunder pumping with one leg can also lead to problems, I have both a left and right foot ascendor and alternate between the two.

Basically look for every easy less physical way for advancing as possible concentrating on using those legs.

The best thing to do is try to eliminate body thrust and leave it just for those short sections, wether you use a ladder (which I do not approve off :001_tongue:) or try to incorporate throwlining and SRT access which is what I did for many years. Throwlining though takes patience and time to develop the skill but it is by far the most most important tool in my humble opinion.