Beginners climbing guide, hints, tips and general climbing techniques

Adam Bourne

Hi lads , so I hope you can help me out , I've been climbing about a year ,and on the blake's hitch , I've had the arm's pulled out of me for to long now , help is needed ,I need to move on , what can I do , not working full time so getting help from other's is hard , any GOOD idea's please help. :confused1:

P.S positive feed back only.

Peter.

Can you add a bit more about what scenario it is that is making your arms hurt?

Maybe your not getting the body thrust technique quite right, you should be getting your legs up high on the stem and pushing upwards with your hips, its a very physical technique anyway but it does sound like you could be doing it all on your arms. Use the tree as much as you can to save energy, as you meet limbs climb up on them if its easier and then immediately tighten your slack. A petzl pantin will make your life soooo much easier when your out from the stem as well.

How long have you been climbing? When I first started it used to totally drain me, its still very hard on your body but as you get more efficient it will become a bit (just a bit :001_tt2:) easier on the body.

I would like to know what it is about the "Prussik" that I was taught to use that stops people using it.

All I here talk of are Distel and VT and Blakes and Khliem (not sure of these spellings sorry)

I asked about them on my CS38 and can't say I was given a solid reason why they are not part of the course.

I would like to know what it is about the "Prussik" that I was taught to use that stops people using it.

All I here talk of are Distel and VT and Blakes and Khliem (not sure of these spellings sorry)

I asked about them on my CS38 and can't say I was given a solid reason why they are not part of the course.

The prussik is a great knot to learn on as very little can go wrong with it once its set and dressed properly. The downside is that you have to advance it manually each time you want to acsend.

The VT and Distel are knots that are combined with pulleys to enable the knot to "release" and re-grab the line. It means that you are able to pull hand over hand and the weight of the rope below you will self tend your hitch. This is the main reason people use it once they are confident.

The reason they are not really taught on CS38 is you need to master the basics of tree climbing before you start to dabble with other systems. As you only have 5 days training on 38, it would be almost impossible to get everyone to a standard to pass while showing all systems.

Hope that helps.

Tommy:thumbup1:

A VT or distel can vary massively in performance in the way that it is tied Matt. The fast boys run very few wraps which makes the knot very quick and easy to tend the slack one handed. The downside is this means they can be very temperamental and not grip when you need them to without setting the knot. It would be dangerous to send a new climber up on a 'sporty' VT and IMO the vt is pretty pointless unless you do have it sporty.

People move away from standard prusik because your very limited for moving around, as they won't release fast enough to take on jumps/swings. :thumbup1:

2 things to remember -

It's all in the detail & concentrate on what your doing, not where you are doing it!!

Ye Godz. Me & my still healing ankle will second that. Concentrate on one task at a time & make sure its right before you make your next move or start your next action.

• Like 1

The Dalai Lhama ..on tree climbing….glasshopper

“Do everything with a mind that lets go. If you let go a little you will have a little peace; if you let go a lot you will have a lot of peace; if you let go completely you will have complete peace.”