Beginners climbing guide, hints, tips and general climbing techniques

Adam Bourne

The pole saw packed up today (too much double extension use) during cutting a fair substantial oak limb. I didn't have my climbing kit so used a sling as a harness and made a three knot system with an old pulling rope to get up there and finish it off.

Two morals of the story.

1. Don't climb on shit, old, un-LOLLERed rope.

2. Learn and remember the basics, because you never know when you might need to use them!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Mark Wileman said:

I didn't have my climbing kit so used a sling as a harness

I've used a sling as a harness quite a bit. Around the arse and each end back over your hips, grab a bight between your legs, tie the three bights together with your knot of choice... simple, lightweight, sturdy, and accentuates your package nicely if you are wearing tight trousers. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, peds said:

I've used a sling as a harness quite a bit. Around the arse and each end back over your hips, grab a bight between your legs, tie the three bights together with your knot of choice... simple, lightweight, sturdy, and accentuates your package nicely if you are wearing tight trousers. 

2896FB65-972A-46D6-8EE0-18C650CECEBF.jpeg

^^ Yep, that kind of thing, but I've only ever used skinny little mountaineering slings that really bite into your buttocks. Wildly uncomfortable. A decent quick fix for abseiling over rocky ground, but I wouldn't want to be hanging around in a tree all day in one. You'd probably want some nice fat webbing as above.

Or, you know... don't forget to pack your harness.

edit
I've also used an ultra-basic sit harness of just a 60cm sling crossed over, a leg through each loop, and a belay 'biner clipped to where they cross in the middle, above your crotch. Can't recommend.

Edited by peds

• 2 months later...