Beginners climbing guide, hints, tips and general climbing techniques

Adam Bourne

12 minutes ago, billpierce said:
18 minutes ago, J7G7 said:
Hi, I was just wondering if there is a way I can make my own adjustable lanyard for when blocking down stems with just rope, karabiners, fisherman's ted into them and friction cord? Or is this not possible? 

Currently I climb on 2 lines, one long rope and one shorter for positioning. But when blocking down stems and both are choked round the tree and going to my bridge its not the most stable.

Yep. Lots of folk use rope instead of a wire core flipline. You can just whack a prussock on it or a pulley and friction cord. You'll be much better with it on your side d's

Thanks, and then you would add a pulley for self tending if you wanted too? I guess also how would I make it, I've tried using the rope, tied fishersmens into the karabiners on both ends but then you add the friction cord and when you try to adjust you're just left with a big circle, you know? like on a petzl grilling lets say, the rope runs straight through the cam when adjusting slack and tension. 

Why a crab on each end? Try fisherman's with crab onto one end, fisherman as stopper at other end, friction knot of your choice in between with other crab. as said before into side D's of harness.

• Like 1

Why a crab on each end? Try fisherman's with crab onto one end, fisherman as stopper at other end, friction knot of your choice in between with other crab. as said before into side D's of harness.
This. Exactly the same as a flipline just rope instead. Fisherman's as a stopper and fisherman's to krab on other end. Prussock and other krab as your attachment on 1 side d.

Shirley you got the idea of that if you've been blocking stuff down on spikes?

If your chogging down on a thin stem and nervous, you can always wrap your side strop round the trunk again (540 degrees of wrap). it improve your stability at the cost of reduced mobility when moving down the stem. 

13 hours ago, htb said:

If your chogging down on a thin stem and nervous, you can always wrap your side strop round the trunk again (540 degrees of wrap). it improve your stability at the cost of reduced mobility when moving down the stem. 

i find taking the rope the opposite way round the tree more stable on small stems. so if (on side D's) you have your friction hitch on the left, pass the rope round the right hand side of the stem, round the back, and then from the left hand side to the right side D. this will give you a cross in front of you getting you closer to the stem and making it more stable without too much loss of mobility, or you could go the whole hog like in the picture

WP_20161125_13_14_23_Pro.jpg

• Like 1

On 17/03/2019 at 20:02, htb said:

Yes that’s it, just needed to get it this way and boom I’ve got one. Haha many thanks for all replies and tips in thread. I appreciate it . 

On ‎18‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 09:59, Craig Johnson said:

i find taking the rope the opposite way round the tree more stable on small stems. so if (on side D's) you have your friction hitch on the left, pass the rope round the right hand side of the stem, round the back, and then from the left hand side to the right side D. this will give you a cross in front of you getting you closer to the stem and making it more stable without too much loss of mobility, or you could go the whole hog like in the picture

WP_20161125_13_14_23_Pro.jpg

That looks a good one Craig.

I've used the full '540' wrap htb mentions above on plenty of skinny stems, but that looks like an interesting compromise.

Cheers.

Does no one use a pole kit on here?

Length of rope,ring on one end and a ring prussik on it so its adjustable.

Retreivable,easy too set up,run your mainline through it and you can bomb down stems,retreive it,set it up again and knock off big sections!

On angled/bent poles i find 2 lanyards can help.One set up as norm round the pole and onto your side D's the other can be chokerd on to the stem and attatched to your lower bridge rings to pull you against the lean.

May sound complicated but its really simple

Edited by stihlmadasever