Beginners climbing guide, hints, tips and general climbing techniques

Adam Bourne

Physically impossible to enter work zones! You'd need a moat and tank traps.

one story I heard was of a old lady who drove into the drop zone (on a closed off industrial estate) with an empty 200 litre drum embedded in the front of her car! She denied seeing the row of brightl orange drums, barrier tape, barriers and signs shutting the entrance off.

ive also, personally, had a Police car with flashing blues parked pavement to pavement across the road. Someone drove around him, on the footpath!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mark2 said:

When on Bristol parks dept.

the trees in streets team had a near miss.

dispite all the ness cordonning

off, the climber up a Lime tree having nearly cut through a med sized limb to free fall, suddenly noticed a pedestrian walking right into the target area ! All he could do is grab the limb at the last moment delaying its fall by a secound or 2 ! saved the person being hit, but ripped several arm and stomach muscles. half asleep grounde ? Inadequate barrier don’t know was’nt there! But we can all learn from others mistakes !

my pet hate is moter cyclists ther like bleeden lemmings ! Think they can out race a falling tree ! My advice is make it physically impossible to chance it ! Then they have to stop !

Good input Mark, glad you’ve joined this thread.

The simple truth is we do what we can.

Make sure your Chapter 8 is up to scratch, correct permissions/notifications are in place, then start praying!

There’s always someone who’s hair appointment is more important than their life.

Unfortunately the worst culprits are always the biggest whingers.

• Like 1

We found it was a good ideal to envolve the police on anything lasting an hour or more. they never charged us ! It lent the job an air of aurthority . Basicly people would do what they were told ! And insisdently it would free up our team to do the ness,

with police shortages i’m not sure it’s an option these day’s ! 

But they always enjoyed the excitement. A good time was had by all.

• Like 2

People who don't do tree work often have no idea of the danger of a work site. A canny few people who do tree work are also afflicted by the same syndrome. When I started tree work there were no mobile phones to distract people, now it's a double whammy.
All you can do is be careful and trust whoever is on the deck to do the best job they can.
Bearing in mind there will always be someone who will be oblivious of the signs/cones/noisy machinery etc.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Okay, I've got a technical question about re-topping a line of leylandii.

So, once you've made progress up the tree and found the previous topping points, how do you manage to cope with the crushing futility of it all? How do you not sink into a hopeless pit of despair as you come face-to-face with such a bleak reminder of the fragility of life?

Edited by peds
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Okay, I've got a technical question about re-topping a line of leylandii.

So, once you've made progress up the tree and found the previous topping points, how do you manage to cope with the crushing futility of it all? How do you not sink into a hopeless pit of despair as you come face-to-face with such a bleak reminder of the fragility of life?

You remember you are holding on to a raging petrol powered, unique smelling, wood nibbling, magical two stroke machine that has no regard for any breed of leylandii...... surely thats enough to make you smile and squeeze on!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1