Beginners climbing guide, hints, tips and general climbing techniques

Adam Bourne

Hi,

I’m just about to start my climbing career so buying all the gear!

Any recommendations for harnesses and kit would be great.

I have found these climbing kits from Northern Arb Supplies in Sheffield, any comments on if they are worth the price etc would be great.

I’ve already bought a 201 saw, but any other pointers on kit for climbing would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Might help if I put the link on!

https://www.northernarbsupplies.co.uk/tree-climbing-kits/3075-treehog-climbing-kit-5.html

top tip for people who don't climb frequently/novices like me - if a customer or member of the public starts photographing you climbing - don't take any notice. This happened to me yesterday and I got all flustered - was thinking like 'I need to be action man moving around quick making cuts' forgot to lanyard in before cutting and almost cut through my main line, just noticed it in time :(

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, tree-fancier123 said:

top tip for people who don't climb frequently/novices like me - if a customer or member of the public starts photographing you climbing - don't take any notice. This happened to me yesterday and I got all flustered - was thinking like 'I need to be action man moving around quick making cuts' forgot to lanyard in before cutting and almost cut through my main line, just noticed it in time :(

Dont let anything or anyone break your concentration.Double check everything before cutting...always.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi,

I’m just about to start my climbing career so buying all the gear!

Any recommendations for harnesses and kit would be great.

I have found these climbing kits from Northern Arb Supplies in Sheffield, any comments on if they are worth the price etc would be great.

I’ve already bought a 201 saw, but any other pointers on kit for climbing would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Skylander equipment.

Hi,

I'm about to have my first climbing work day on friday :) and have just parted with a load of cash for gear.. :(

I did a training course with a school that taught me double rope technique, with a cambium saver setup. The team I am working with all use a fixed rope to ascend and then (I think) switch to a double rope at the top to work with.  They will be showing me this on friday.

I'm interested to know if people use this system in the UK? (I am english but based in Germany)

I am finding it a bit confusing to understand exactly how it all works, and would be really grateful for a step by step run down of this kind of setup.

The ascending rope is anchored onto the tree, but I don't quite understand how the ascending rope is cinched up top...

or how the switch to the other system at the top works?

They are really nice and patient but I still don't want to seem totally clueless!

Let me know if that doesn't make any sense, the terminology is all different here!

Welcome Jack.  What you are referring to is SRT and theres a million answers to your questions unfortunately.  Ultimately you will be guided by the guys showing you regarding how to tie in.  But basically theres 2 ways, a base tie or a tip tie.  Theres a stack of information to trawl through on the SRT section of this site.

https://arbtalk.co.uk/forums/forum/92-srt-single-rope-technique/