Beginners climbing guide, hints, tips and general climbing techniques

Adam Bourne

My tuppence worth. When I teach a climbing course the first thing a student learns practically is a 3 knot system. This is incase anything goes wrong they still have the means to effect a rescue even if they dont have a prussik loop etc. As long as they know how to tie this they can use what they want to complete the course. Only one stipilation is that they can show me what they are going to use and that they are competant in setting it up. Saying that i would be cautious if someone wanted to use Srt unless they showed sound knowledge and had a good grasp of the principles involved.

Why would you be cautious with srt. The only reason I ask is because I've got a climbing competence test to do in two weeks time and I was going to use my rope wrench as that's what I climb on everyday now. The test is for a big opportunity and I don't want to throw off the examiner/interviewer by climbing srt.

Only talking from a newbies perspective as this is what I was answering to. If they have never climbed before then it might not be the best approch to learn on. Can become gear locked with ascenders etc if not experianced in there use. As i stated though if someone turned up with the right attitude and knowledge then I would be happy for them to climb on SRT. As for your climbing assessment then. If SRT is what you climb on day to day then use it. Expect lots of questions on why do you use it and pros and cons of SRT Vs DDRT. If they have staff already using SRT then they might already be aware but testing to see if you know your stuff. Expect them to know bugger all about it though and you won't go wrong

Edited by taffupatree
Added more info

Only talking from a newbies perspective as this is what I was answering to. If they have never climbed before then it might not be the best approch to learn on. Can become gear locked with ascenders etc if not experianced in there use. As i stated though if someone turned up with the right attitude and knowledge then I would be happy for them to climb on SRT. As for your climbing assessment then. If SRT is what you climb on day to day then use it. Expect lots of questions on why do you use it and pros and cons of SRT Vs DDRT. If they have staff already using SRT then they might already be aware but testing to see if you know your stuff. Expect them to know bugger all about it though and you won't go wrong

Yeah im confident with it. I'll go srt worse case scenario I can always swap to hitch climber

• 2 weeks later...

What's the best size / male of rope to start - 1.7 or 13mm. Ideally I want something to last while I build confidence and that will work with friction hitches and mechanical devices. I was thinking 45 m so it covers everything.

Im sticking to drt for now as advised but would like the chance to try other things out as and when.

I have a second hand harness that I have no history of, if I get it loler'd is it going to last or shall I bite the bullet for a brand new one?

Any other suggestions?

Is there a set up that can be used for both drt and srt? I really like the look of lots of the srt stuff talked about on here and that I've seen on YouTube, but I'm guessing the course for 38/39 will want to use all drt?

If I'm buying my own kit but want to future proof it, what's best?