Beginners climbing guide, hints, tips and general climbing techniques

Adam Bourne

Just lately there seems to be a few threads started by beginners and climbers who are taking there climbing a step further, so thought it would be a great idea :blushing: to put together a thread dedicated to helping these lads out, not really got much planned as in picture/video format but was just going to leave it open to lads who want to ask questions regarding getting started or wanting move into different climbing styles, different gear and so on, my first thing is to try and get a few climbers on here to help out we're they can!

Good idea or not?

Thanks in advance

Adam

The starter guide here about the climbing is actually very amazing and helpful for the newbies. I remember when i was a newbie we could not get such kind of help online but now a days we can see a plenty of tips and tricks in every discipline of life.

• 1 month later...
The scabbard from the Stihl 201 snaps firmly into place on the sprocket cover, and also covers the bumper spikes. This provides reliable protection for both arborist work clothes and climbing equipment.

Here's my tip.

[ATTACH]184308[/ATTACH]

It works fine for the Stihl 150 too.

Does cutting the end off not negate the purpose?

Personally I've never seen the point. Sounds like a lot of faff and one more bit of string to attach to my saddle.

If it works for you though go for it!

Edit: didn't notice it was the 150, hence the end removed. My point remains though. However I regularly clip my 150 to my caritool on the side handle, causing the bar to stick out at an angle. Useful for when you have a lot to cut and chuck, and so far I haven't severed any tendons.

Edited by Joe Newton

I attatch my 200t via it's handle into the Caritool...done this for a couple of years now and never caught myself on it...its so handy...and its out of the way...hate seeing a climber swing through the canapy with his saw following behind him smashing off everything!!!!:eek::eek::eek:

I started with a basic prussic loop about a year and a half ago but then bought myself a micro pulley and an eye to eye and use that in a valdotain hitch. Makes life a lot easier when on big climbs as you are not having to slide the prussic up with every up thrust. You can do two or three arm pulls and then pull the rope through one handed and higher up the rope is supposed to self tend - doesn't always work though Thinking about using a spiderjack now. Anyone had any experience?

james - leedstreecare

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys , i have been in the industry for 2 and a half years now , started off as a groundie and then started climbing regular from august/september last year and want to get your thoughts for when it comes to removing branches with a top handle without cutting and holding , there have been i few trees i have climbed which have had fences underneith , and altthough i see alot of people cutting and holding the branches then chucking it behind them to miss the fence , but i dont like the idea of that i am worried about slicing my hand off , and just wanted to know what other options of there to removing them safely , i tend to do a step cut at the side of the branach then drop the saw down then grab the branch and pull it towards me then throw it away , any other options?