Advice on a purchase

Doyleyburger

Hey guys

I have recently bought a wood burning stove to run my heating, which means I now have to keep well on top of the firewood. I need to purchase a decent saw that'll be hassle free for me. I'm looking at getting something with a 16-20" bar. I want a good all rounder !!

Obvious choices would be husky or stihl. Having done a bit of research on YouTube I can't really seperate the two, only that Husky seem to go through timber about a second quicker on average and seem to be more well balanced than the stihl......ADVISE PLEASE

Oh man, here we go again, just need our West Country fella to throw Dolmar in to the pot:001_rolleyes::lol::lol:

On the Husky side, 346XP, 357XP, 365, 372XP these are all pro saws, very capable and spares damn easy as Arb types have been using them for years and they also share many parts with other models - all will cut as much wood as you are likely to burn in a year and reliably.

You will be able to use the first two all day as they are light and powerful, the other two are more for ringing up.

Stihl - the previously mentioned 026/MS260, the MS261 has a few issues with crankshaft sprocket ends so would personally would steer clear - others may disagree! MS440 is a solid option - I am not as famillier with the Stihl range though.

My personal choice - get a tidy 357XP - light, powerful, will take 15" - 20" bar and has very good AV systems - these Huskys are one of the few models that don't bounce and move about when running on hard standing - very impressive saws!

If you are doing more ringing type cutting then the 365 is one bullet proof saw:thumbup:

Hey guys

I have recently bought a wood burning stove to run my heating, which means I now have to keep well on top of the firewood. I need to purchase a decent saw that'll be hassle free for me. I'm looking at getting something with a 16-20" bar. I want a good all rounder !!

Obvious choices would be husky or stihl. Having done a bit of research on YouTube I can't really seperate the two, only that Husky seem to go through timber about a second quicker on average and seem to be more well balanced than the stihl......ADVISE PLEASE

Looking to pay around the £350 mark. Could stretch a bit more. I am more than happy to buy a decent second hand saw

Seriously, that size and price buy new and buy a Dolmar/Makita:

NEW MAKITA DCS500-45 PETROL CHAINSAW 50CC 45CM BAR C/W GLOVES | eBay

Ignore the fact thats on Ebay - its a local shop to me who is selling it - thats the price you should have to pay for it with 18" bar. (itl be abit cheaper without box & gloves)

Neighbour has the older DCS520i, as does my brother-in-laws dad. Iv not long fell on with the equivelent Domar 115i, all on 18" bars. Lovely saws which will work hard all day doing firewood with no issues.

I own a smaller Stihl ms210, and have used a friends 52cc Stihl (cant remember model at this time, but its around 3 years old) - they are great saws and if budget wasnt an issue id have nothing else. But, for the money and job you will be doing, the extra ££ for the Stihl (or Husky) is money wasted IMO.

Why buy the Bugatti Veyron, when a VW Golf does the same job at a fraction of the price........