Stop giving your logs away...

Chris Gagen

I can't decide which way to go, vented bags or crates? Bags stretch so you end up giving away logs for free, but less work than making up crates:confused1: But crates don't stretch so you don't need to bounce them and top them up, round here bags are about £5.30 plus vat, whereas old pallets and a bit of scrap timber makes a reusable crate. But then I was looking on this web site...

Premium Kiln Dried Ash Firewood Logs Suppliers - Premium Kiln Dried Ash Firewood Logs Supplied and Delivered Nationwide

.....and they say a neatly stacked 1m3 crate actually holds 1.75m3! whereas a bounced and topped up 1m3 bag holds 1.3m3 of logs. Does a 0.7m3 dumpy/builders bag hold close enough to 1m3 of logs once bumped and stretched to advertise as a cube of wood?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't listen to those comparisons on those websites, they are miles off!!

We have had stacked crates 2.35 x 1.1 X 0.8 which gives a stacked volume of about 2 cubic metres internal and we get at max 2.6 loose cubic metres out of it.

We also bought a crate from a national company in the past and they quoted on their website that you get 2.8 loose cubic metres out of it and we just about got 1.8. I did email them but they didn't respond

I can't decide which way to go, vented bags or crates? Bags stretch so you end up giving away logs for free, but less work than making up crates:confused1: But crates don't stretch so you don't need to bounce them and top them up, round here bags are about £5.30 plus vat, whereas old pallets and a bit of scrap timber makes a reusable crate. But then I was looking on this web site...

Premium Kiln Dried Ash Firewood Logs Suppliers - Premium Kiln Dried Ash Firewood Logs Supplied and Delivered Nationwide

.....and they say a neatly stacked 1m3 crate actually holds 1.75m3! whereas a bounced and topped up 1m3 bag holds 1.3m3 of logs. Does a 0.7m3 dumpy/builders bag hold close enough to 1m3 of logs once bumped and stretched to advertise as a cube of wood?

One of the bonuses of crates for me is I work on my own. Getting the loops of a bag on the fork tines is PITA jumping in and out the cab whereas can just pic up and IBC in one go.

if you start advertising bags that measure 3/4 cube as cube your asking for trouble especially as your not allowed to advertise bags by volume in the first place only as bags or with dimensions.

A 1m3 crate holds 1m3, basic physics says you can't put more VOLUME in a fixed space. You can however take 1 cubic meter of wood and stack it in such a way that it occupies more space due to air between the logs. It is still however 1 cubic meter of wood.

If you were to advertise you have 1.75 cubic meters of logs in a cubic meter box you are 1. lying and 2 in breach of trading standards.

The best way is to sell for example a 1 cubic meter crate loose filled with logs or a builders bag loose filled with logs. Never state the volume of logs you are selling.

As an example if you went to the pub and ordered 2 pints of beer and the bar man got 2 pint glasses and half filled each with beer and topped them up with water would you have 2 pints of beer?

'Builders bags' vary though, many are only slightly over .5 m3

well every one seems to be quoting bags as a cubic metre , I use bags that are actually a cubic YARD ( 27 cubic foot ) the bags being 3 foot ( 90 cm ) x 3 foot x 3 foot this makes them only 0. 73 metre cubed and a cubic metre is actually 35 cubic foot . I prefer to sell loose using a jcb corn bucket that holds a a preset amount of 65 ft3 / 1.7 m3 , scoop up hydraulic shake and top up .

I have "bulk bags" which have probably been used several times (by myself). I was giving away fresh ash last year at €50 per bag. I did think it took ages to fill!

I got a new bag so filled it and then filled the "old" bag. Old bag was only 60% ie between halfway and 2/3rds.

I have decided that I'll use the bags as temp storage; but I'm now just using my nugent tipper, selling on its internal dimensions and volume. Full she's 5.8 cube. Although the mesh sides do bulge slightly!