using dead wood as an anchor point

frenchy

if you install anchor from the ground get a few guys to weight test it first should give you an idea of its stregnth, i guess in thoery one can anchor to anything as long as its strong enough!

i reckon dead limbs should be avioded if possible tho.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It is like a lot of questions in tree work you need to be there and see it for your self before committing to an answer.

You could be asking about a dead stem or branch or the main trunk.

Most of us will tie in to dead wood but it is experience that tells you what you can and cant get away with.

If unsure don't tie in to it find another way.

Im going to quote all of the above on experience species etc but what also needs to be observed is a piece if paper called a risk assessment, I know we all hate them but if you actually fill one in and present it to a customer and tell them it's too unsafe it eliminates the macho I'll do it and I have done this countless times before, after all it's hard to turn around and say I'm not climbing it or whatever... But.... We live in a day and age where we go home at the end of the day it's also the same day and age of health and safety so think about that and evaluate the tree properly 'frenchy' in particular as it will make the decisions a lot easier.

If it has to be climbed at least you will have done a very thorough check before you have even put your belt on mate and have that little bit of confidence building behind you!

We all get up trees by rights ones that we should not sometimes and usually we are lucky, just give yourself every possible chance of being actually able to tell that story to your mates in the pub and look properly before you ask what may be deemed as a silly question!

Stay safe!

I'll put my hands up and admit to having had a few 'woahh' moments when I've anchored in on the way up at what near the stem looks like a decent branch but when you actually look you see its knackered. Plain old trying to climb against the clock at work rushing to finish a job, no excuse really :blushing:

I know a few people including myself who have base anchored an access line on dead stubs climbing mountain ash over here. As others have said, use your instincts, they are usually right. Ive also SRT'd up on a tiny dead stub on the wrench (with a nice big fork underneath it) because I couldnt flick the rope off it. Climbed all the way on it,

if you install anchor from the ground get a few guys to weight test it first should give you an idea of its stregnth, i guess in thoery one can anchor to anything as long as its strong enough!

i reckon dead limbs should be avioded if possible tho.

Not always the case mate.

I installed a line into an Oak tree back in April this year. I knew it was going too well as I hit the target fork first goes. I tensioned the line, snapped a bit of d'wood out. Re-tensioned the line again, hung in my harness and had a groundie my size hang on it aswell.

All good or so I thought.

I started to ascend SRT on a RW. Got about 12 foot in the air and the top of the tree snapped. Where it snapped was about 6 inches diameter and a live Oak tree.

I hit the deck, followed shortly by the top of the tree. Result was a badly damaged ankle ligament but no breaks.

The whole groundie bouncing on the anchor is fine in theory, but maybe, just maybe, all the bouncing weakened the limb and resulted in my hitting the deck.

Saying that I have taken down lots of dead trees and tied into dead stuff. Experience tells you when it is likely to be fine. Although, I think twice about installing climbing lines with a throwline these days, especially on dead trees.

I like to spike them and get a feel for the integrity of the wood.

Climb safe everyone.

Not always the case mate.

I installed a line into an Oak tree back in April this year. I knew it was going too well as I hit the target fork first goes. I tensioned the line, snapped a bit of d'wood out. Re-tensioned the line again, hung in my harness and had a groundie my size hang on it aswell.

All good or so I thought.

I started to ascend SRT on a RW. Got about 12 foot in the air and the top of the tree snapped. Where it snapped was about 6 inches diameter and a live Oak tree.

I hit the deck, followed shortly by the top of the tree. Result was a badly damaged ankle ligament but no breaks.

The whole groundie bouncing on the anchor is fine in theory, but maybe, just maybe, all the bouncing weakened the limb and resulted in my hitting the deck.

Saying that I have taken down lots of dead trees and tied into dead stuff. Experience tells you when it is likely to be fine. Although, I think twice about installing climbing lines with a throwline these days, especially on dead trees.

I like to spike them and get a feel for the integrity of the wood.

Climb safe everyone.

Good, good post.